Re: GCL IDE on Windows

"Brandon J. Van Every" <mylastnameruntogether@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:d8n8mg$etk$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The Jabberwocky documentation claims that it supports GCL on Unix, but not
> on Windows. SLIME doesn't support GCL at all. Portable Hemlock doesn't
> appear to have been tested on GCL. ILISP supports GCL, but the archives
> indicate that people have a lowered opinion of ILISP nowadays? What would
> people recommend for a GCL IDE?

Good question.

Imagine for a moment that everyone is using a Windows desktop calculator
like program to do math. The paradigm is that it is a graphical
representation
of the handheld calculator.

Suppose that all information concerning the existence of symbolic math
progams that were
fully functional with GUI's and 2 and 3d plotting has been suppressed or
more correctly, omitted, by the desktop calculator software because such
programs were in use at research institutions in the early 90's but "fell
out of favor"
during the "AI winter" or <substitute you own make believe explanation
here>.

Meanwhile, a lucky few who used such programs scoff at the desktop
calculator
interface and glowingly describe what it was like to use the great symbolic
math programs of the past. Only they know the real power of what might be
being done on user's desktop as opposed to the prevailing notions of what is
useful.
The computers of today have plenty of power and memory to handle the load.

Such is the present situation with regard to Lisp vendors. Many seem to be
blindly following the pathetic "visual studio" (sic) concept, more correctly
named
"Visual Outsourcing Studio" and popularized by a prominent software
monopoly.
Unfortunately the real purpose of the VS Studio is to lock people into
proprietary
technologies but that is the stuff of another post.

A small group of people, experienced on REAL Lisp development environments,
have
slowly been posting pictures and information about what it was like to
develop
on REAL LISP work enviornments and that knowledge is gradually passing thru
the web.
Hidden away in various byways on the web are pieces of code, fragments and
half forgotten
manuals about Lisp Machines, Symbolics, TI Explorer
and others. The very names strikes fear into the Lisp vendors.
Which Lisp vendor, if any, will be the first to wake up and start consulting
these.
Who will dare to even mention that they will even try???

There once was, over a decade ago, very competent and powerful Lisp
development
environments and every day that passes more software developers become aware
of this power
and wonder why we cannot have it... all of it, NOW.

Jim Pannozzi

  • Accessing the web via http in GCL
    ... I'm currently using GCL on a Windows XP box. ... I've downloaded an SBCL ... I know that *nix has about 3-4 free Lisp ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: GCL vs. CLISP
    ... > have to upgrade to a real Lisp implementation. ... there is the GNU Common Lisp at the GNU site and at the ... GCL compiles to native machine code and is thus usually quite a bit ... > packages use XGCL and CLX respectively. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: How to link object files generated by GCL
    ... I'm trying to have a Lisp function compiled down to something I can ... My biggest issue so far is getting the GCL .o file to ... I've been trying to write a lisp function that will compile down ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Problems with the On Lisp development model ...
    ... > goodness this is not the case for the bulk of the GCL heap. ... I don't know GCL, but most of the other Lisps are basically "heap" based ... I also think that systems like Allegro will allow you to load FASL files as, ... "read only" so that you can share them across multiple Lisp ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)