Re: ILC2005: McCarthy denounces Common Lisp, "Lisp", XML, and Rahul

Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>>> I know that you are working on such a beast. Have you already taken
>>> a look at 3-Lisp? You definitely should...
>
> Google helped me find these articles with some information about 3-Lisp:
>
> http://crpit.com/confpapers/CRPITV37Miyoshi.pdf
> http://www2.parc.com/csl/groups/sda/projects/reflection96/docs/malenfant/ref96/ref96.html
>
> Did I miss anything?

It would also be worthwhile to look at the papers that disagree with
the 3-Lisp viewpoint:

Mitchell Wand. "The Mystery of the Tower Revealed: a Non-Reflective
Description of the Reflective Tower".
Proceedings of the 1986 ACM Symposium on LISP and Functional
Programming.
August 1986.

------

AI Memo 946
Reification without Evaluation -- Alan Bawdin

Constructing self-referential systems, such as Brian Smith's 3-lisp
language, is actually more straightforward than you think. Anyone
can build an infinite tower of processors (where each processor
implementes the processor at th next level below) by employing some
common sense and one simple trick. In particular, it is *not*
necessary to re-design quotation, take a stand on teh relative
merits of evaluation vs. normalization, or treat continuations as
meta-level objects. This paper presents a simple programming
language interpreter that illustrates how this can be done. By
keeping expression evaluation entirely separate from the mechanisms
that implement its infinite tower, this interpreter avoids many
troublesome aspects of previous self-referential programming
languages. Given these basically straightforward techniques,
processor towers might be easily constructed for a wide variety of
systems to enable them to manipulate and reason about themselves.

------

Alan Bawden is one smart cookie.

--
~jrm

  • Re: unusual OR syntax
    ... I remember being quite suprised when I encountered this short-circuit evaluation (in Perl in my case). ... So you continue to hold a grudge against the language because you didn't like a more senior programmer's attitude. ... The 'remember that' part wasn't to bully me around, it was to to tell me I could and should expect more of that kind of programming in/with Perl. ... The same can be achieved without using short circuit evaluation, thus avoiding all these assumptions and possible confusion. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Benefit of not defining the order of execution
    ... at the cost of introducing risk into the code-base written in the programming ... Undefined orders of execution have no place in an imperative programming ... language; i.e. one in which the majority of programs that are considered ... Order of evaluation is just one aspect that varies across implementations. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: The origin of gender
    ... in the history of living organisms did a single culture develop ... Tower of Babel was, anyway? ... I think the natural process by which the French language came to be is ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Writing and the Tower of Babel story
    ... and the Tower of Babel story? ... I would assume that a person who had their language ... If God went through so much trouble to ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: OT The Tower of Babel
    ... >Never really looked at the text concerning the Tower of Babel. ... >1 And the whole earth was of one language, ... And the Lord said, Behold, ...
    (talk.origins)