Re: When does ADJUST-ARRAY cons?

Kent M Pitman <pitman@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Personally, I've never seen this use of displaced arrays. That doesn't
> make it a bad use, but points to the fact that people conceptualize
> the use of operators in different ways.

But you don't see anything fundamentally flawed with the
usage I'm proposing? That's kind of what I'd like to know,
as I've never had to use ADJUST-ARRAY before, and I was just
looking for some sort of speed hack. So if an implementation
is free to make the particular usage I have in mind very cheap,
I could contact my vendor and ask them to extend the implementation
in this manner.

Alternately, I could really do with some sort of function
like READ-LINE-INTO-STRING, which would be the analogue of
READ-SEQUENCE, which would take a string with a fill-pointer
as argument, and read characters into the string, adjust the
fill pointer (and presumably signal some sort of error if
the newline, or whatever designated terminating character,
was not found soon enough). If this could result into
some speed improvement (because it could be made not to cons)
I'd be very happy.

Maybe this sort of problem is not as ubiquitous as I thought.

--
It would be difficult to construe Larry Wall, in article
this as a feature. <1995May29.062427.3640@xxxxxxxxxxx>

  • Re: VB6 LISTBOX problem
    ... Have a look at the code below, can you do a sort that is faster ... There are of course all sorts of ways of sorting stuff, especially stuf that is "linked together" as in your UDTs, but to prove the following code sorts it in exactly the same way that your own original code does so, by concatenating all three items of each element into a composite string exactly as you are already doing, but instead of dumping those composite strings into a ListBox it dumps them into a VB string array. ... Private Type SAFEARRAY1D ... Dim StPtr As Long, VAs String, pVAs Long ...
  • Re: need help sorting text by trailing Numbers Value
    ... You can try the following VBA code and see if it works to give you a sort string you can use. ... Dim strReturn As String ... Then in the next step how could i move all of the trailing Numerical charachters to a new field? ...
    (microsoft.public.access.reports)
  • Re: Sort Type
    ... Like I said, the Space$ function itself it is about 50 per cent faster than the equivalent String$ function, but the main speed improvement will come from minimizing the number of times you call your Normalize function by taking it out of the sort routine itself. ... I can't really comment further on your normalize function since you have not provided a comprehensive sample of the stuff you intend to sort but, whatever function you end up using, my own previous suggestion of normalizing your strings into a temporary array just once and then performing your ShuttleMerge Index Sort on the temporary array will still produce a massive speed increase regardless of what you end up with in your Normalize function. ...
  • C Sharp sorting considered superior to C by an order of magnitude
    ... following sort algorithms and the following points. ... its own comparision for the types bool, byte, short, int, long, ... single, double and string. ... private CheckBox CHKdeterminism; ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Cant Figure Out How To Sort On Bind
    ... The sort order is not being passed as an argument, ... with the string "searchCache" to create a key for it, ... 'Assign ColumnOrder to ViewState ... Sub GetDataReader(ByVal ColumnOrder As String) ...