Re: Interview with Samantha Kleinberg on CL-GODB, Common Lisp & Bioinformatics

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
"justinhj" <justinhj@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'm surprised such a gender bias is so pronounced still. There are
less women attracted to programming careers, but when they do come they
are no less able or productive.

It's not surprizing if you know some basic biological and neurological facts.

For example, the width of the QI bell curve of females is narrower
than for males (they're both centered at 100, don't worry). That's
why you've got more dumb males (who end in jails for example), but
also more genius males (who end in cubicles all the same).
Meanwhile the women get all the good "quality" time with the children.

The world will now reboot. don't bother saving your artefacts.

Whilst there is evidence that there is greater difference in mens IQ
than womens I find this highly dubious data to use to explain why there
are less female programmers.

You presume that being a good programmer is directly linked to IQ
scores, which is highly questionable. It's likely to be vaguely linked,
but certainly not to the extent that a few points difference on average
would make the programming world male only as it almost is in some
places.

I am surpised at the attitudes here I thought the world has moved on,
and I'm glad to say it has in the places I have worked and studied.

Justin

  • Re: More Feminist Whining: Not Enough Women in IT..
    ... we were programming before you reached puberty. ... provided they are female? ... pretty soon all males will be designated criminals! ...
    (soc.men)
  • Re: How Boys Are SOCIALIZED Determines Their End Results
    ... A national survey of adolescent males carried out in the ... pointless aggression, and sex abuse-drug abuse. ... And call it womens liberation... ... basically mens doing is just so taken for granted that commentators ...
    (soc.men)
  • Re: How Boys Are SOCIALIZED Determines Their End Results
    ... pointless aggression, and sex abuse-drug abuse. ... And call it womens liberation... ... basically mens doing is just so taken for granted that commentators ... Studies have also shown that males are less worried about preserving ...
    (soc.men)
  • Re: Women Hate Equality (part 2).
    ... males when falsely accused. ... majority of office workers are women, ... Add paying for sex to the list ... fall in love with womens bodys have babies then walk out on those ...
    (soc.men)
  • Re: Interview with Samantha Kleinberg on CL-GODB, Common Lisp & Bioinformatics
    ... We could consider that IQ tests only measure the "fitness" of the ... discount the basis of much of this thread i.e. females consistently ... why there are fewer women in programming than men. ... males are more fit in a environment where to survive you need to ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)