Re: New to Lisp and Web Programming

"Sean SCC" <sean.mymail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Thanks Pascal,

I have looked at your web site some time ago - will go look again.

I have purchased the books:
Practical Common Lisp
Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
Exercise book to SICP

Even though these are generally avaliable online I like to support
Authors that share their work online and I just find it easier in many
cases to have the actual book. On Lisp by PG will likely be my next
purchase.

Unfortunately none of these books as far as I know mention much about
web programming in CL and I am mostly stuck at this point - I can learn
CL but not sure how to use CL for web access/development.

The same way as you would do it in any language. Either find or
create a library of routines to access the web, and then build your
application on top of it. The cool thing about Lisp is that you can
do it all incrementally. Create a function that grabs a document by
its URL and then test it at the REPL. Create another function (or do
this one first) that parses the document for the information you want,
and test it with sample data before tying it to the downloader
function. Etc.

You may want to look at http://www.cliki.net/ for existing code to
help you get started.

  • Re: The library metric
    ... >> good array of technical books. ... Not so in the case of Lisp. ... >> university libraries to fare much better. ... I think in a tech center like Seattle it is indeed important. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Newbie in Lisp
    ... There are three introductory books that are inexpensive or free: ... Wilensky's 'Common Lispcraft' ... Barsky 'Land of Lisp' ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Any good tutorials for libraries?
    ... you need to adapt cl-ncurses to the needs of your implementation ... And why isn't there many books or tutorials on it? ... commercial use of Lisp not academic so I can cover things not present ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: OReilly Lisp? Looks like it is just a matter of time...
    ... * Books on topics that have dismal sales despite quality books ... > sold dismally in the past (for instance, LISP, LaTeX, or Web-based ... > big "fuck you" to the Lisp community. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Lisp for begginer
    ... After programming and designing for over 20 ... care about and *refer* to these books as needed. ... There is also 'COMMON LISP: ... interactive nature of most Lisp implementations makes ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)