Re: Lisp Web Development and Application State

mrcsparker@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Pierre THIERRY wrote:
Le Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:51:00 -0700, mrcsparker@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
So, how would you build a simple web application that saves state
between pages in Lisp?

With a running Lisp image instead of scripts run by the Web server, part
of the problem just vanishes. In my case, I added Elephant so that I can
just consider my data persistent, even accross reboots of the image.

Partly,
Nowhere man
--
nowhere.man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A

How do you know when to let go of the user data? For example, if a
user starts to fill out a multi-page form and never finishes, how long
do you keep the data on the server?

The most straightforward solution is probably using timeout to reap old
continuations. Elephant is an object store, it persists arbitrary lisp
data
by writing to a Berkeley DB.

Incidentally, my google Summer of Code project might interest you.
http://common-lisp.net/project/wispylisp/tutorial.html
It has continuation enabled form, which lets you program functionally
across the server/client barrier.

  • Re: How to run Lisp as a server?
    ... Connecting to a server is hardly a memory or time problem, ... I'm just trying to learn some Lisp, ... script and put it into a file in a spool directory and waits for some ... once such a file is written, you create a job ticket file: ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: world delivery
    ... k> I see no reason why it should be different for Lisp. ... I guess it's good if you deploy on client server and you don't want ... Depends of the type of the continuations, ... What kind of app you're running on your web server? ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: why has lisp not supplanted perl python ruby php lua etc for web? is the procedural with sql db
    ... Web servers with built-in PHP (so the server doesn't have to start ... more common than servers with built-in Lisp. ... it's a language that isn't very popular (it lacks the libraries and ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: world delivery
    ... k> server, ... Since my original post was a request for opinions on whether a Lisp ... you don't trust your app and want better secuity (so attacker at best ... if you do not need this stuff, you can happily live w/o virtualization. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • garbage collector pauses, help?
    ... and my team is a making a massively multiplayer online ... Our lisp product of choice so far is LispWorks. ... Performance on the server is important. ... they would eventually consume all available memory. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)