Re: Compile to binary using gcl?

gpropf@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
SBCL is written mostly in lisp with some C support bits to get it started,
so to compile it from source you need to have a cl compiler already, as
well as the usual C compiler. Install a cl compiler binary (the SBCL
binary or similar) in a temporary location, use it to compile the source,
then delete the temporary version. See http://www.sbcl.org/getting.html
for details.

Actually I just got the 1.0 version of SBCL and it does compile while
the older ones don't (on Gentoo). I'm supposing that the Gentoo people
are including a binary sbcl in their tarball to make the initial
compile happen. Still no luck compiling cmucl (I have AMD64 machines
and there's some kind of assembler error during the compile) though the
binary distro works fine. I'm now using it with Slime in fact, which
is totally wonderful by the way. Love the command completion

You don't really need to build it yourself. The improvement in
optimization is quite small between the stock binary and one built for
your machine. Also, SBCL and CMUCL are very similar for most purposes.

  • Re: (eval-when?)
    ... > - open the source file ... Because defconstant may have compile-time side-effects: ... In sbcl: ... An implementation may choose to evaluate the value-form at compile ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Troll-o-Matic
    ... I am getting compile times of around 4s with SBCL 0.9.9. ... (The changes to the Lisp environment don't explain this change. ... [I've defined tokens as follows: ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Newbie compilation problem
    ... When (using SBCL), I type (load "test.lisp"), then everything works fine. ... compile it, I get a slightly different result: ... try switching from defconstant to defvar. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Comparison Ruby, Python, Php, Groovy ecc.
    ... ...without the need to compile every interpreter. ... an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp. ... More information about SBCL is available at. ... Type HELP for debugger help, or to exit from SBCL. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Bootstrapping SBCL with CLISP on OS X 10.3.1
    ... > build it using CLISP from Darwin Ports. ... > sure what to fix or how to fix it. ... because while SBCL makes an effort to work in ANSI lisps, ... > compile from x86 Linux to PPC OS X? ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)