Today's Sermon... [was Re: clisp, clsql and foreign functions: problems in windows executables]

Edgar Gonçalves wrote:
I'll post some results, and maybe a howto, after I try a celtk
executable.

Well not a full howto, but I've jotted up some notes on all problems I
had in the windows binary + MSaccess access + celtk + cffi, and posted
them here: http://carpathia.blogspot.com/2007/02/free-lisp-executables-
in-windows.html

Hope some more newbies like me won't get stuck where I did :)

I have been saying for a while that what Lisp needs is more newbies like you who (a) care enough to fight the good fight and (b) then document their work.

Too many people using free software view it as a one-way street. The reality is that sharing code takes a surprising amout of effort. If nothing comes back from that effort, the effort is a bad investment.

Peter Denno over on Cells-Gtk added value by documenting things as he learned them, and he is just one of several people who have made it worthwhile for me to share my code, Frank Goenninger being a stand-out.

The good news about Celtk/Cello is that they are being used heads down to develop a serious and highly interactive application, so they are getting a lot of attention. The bad news is that folks can forget about getting any doc from me, that's my head that is down and anyway the open source fairy has left the building.

let us pray.

kzo

ps. No screenshots? http://www.tilton-technology.com/cello-shot-06.jpg

--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and
I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
-- Elwood's Mom

  • Re: Carly in the news
    ... due to its continued exposure to one-sided propaganda presented as "News." ... I get my news mostly from The Times these days. ... understanding of many important aspects of reality. ... To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
  • Re: Off Friggin Topic.
    ... The truth... ... reality, that is why I get mine from the "Daily Show and Colbert Report" ... I like news that is looked at with some humor... ... If you have an opinion ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Uprising in Libya
    ... far more wingnuts than the left, and they seem to get more ... given how disconnected from reality they already are. ... there is no analogous "news" network to Fox News. ... And then of course there's science denial - a majority of Republicans ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Constructing Reality: The news and you
    ... Liberals can't handle reality. ... But if all the news is subjective, ... Call it cognitive dissonance. ... How perceive reality, how separate wheat from chaff, the party line ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Re: A Certificate of De-Baptism
    ... That, of course, raises the question of whether there is any reality ... outside our heads? ... distinguish between light with a red wavelength and light with a green ... machines cannot measure - love, hope, even spirituality. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)