Re: LISP diploma project idea

On Feb 26, 6:43 pm, "mark.hoem...@xxxxxxxxx" <mark.hoem...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Feb 26, 2:57 am, Ken Tilton <kentil...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Needless to say (because of my Cells project) I think the most
interesting thing going on in language research these days is the
dataflow paradigm, with functional reactive programming being the single
most active academic label hung on this very old idea.

The OP might have a fabulous thesis by figuring out how to get an
efficient parallel implementation of something like Cells.

The OP wrote:
I have to mention that i don't really want a practical project (a
program to do something) and i would like more a research kind of
topic, if you understand. I think i should have wrote "diploma thesis"
instead.

Hm, it sounds like you want to prove some theorems about programming
languages, no? If you don't plan to write any code then you'd better
have a bunch of math ;) Personally I don't think of PL work as
interesting unless there is an implementation of something to play
with, or at least a sketch of an implementation. I'm not a PL expert
so I'm not sure what "low-hanging fruit" (i.e. stuff you can do in a
semester or two) there might be in terms of easy theorems to prove,
but I know there's plenty of low-hanging fruit in the efficiency and
implementation areas.

mfh

mfh

I didn't said that i want a pure theoretical paper (where's the fun
without coding? specially Lisp). I just said that i don't want an
project like "make a Lisp program that does bla-bla-bla" (like a lab
project), but something more into research, like Constanza's idea and
your idea with distributed Cells (i have to read about "those Cells").

So thanks for all the ideas, and feel free to add.

.