Re: Lisp article at IBM

On Feb 25, 9:46 pm, Stefan Nobis <sno...@xxxxxx> wrote:
"Juan R." <juanrgonzal...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
If becoming mainstream is pure coincidence, then computing the time
LISP is in the market, it would be mainstream two or three times
(because probability for an outcome increases with observation
time).

Wrong. This is not one single ongoing experiment.

I was speaking about p(t) series, therefore I have no idea what do you
mean by "This is not one single ongoing experiment."

From time to time
there are opportunities when a new language is selected by the
mainstream. Each time a random selection is made independently, so the
chance of a long term player isn't raising.

If, as you say, choosing a language over time is pure azar, why do we
look zero LISP-peaks in the temporal series? Why much younger
languages present popularity peaks when would be much less probable?

Data does not support your assertions.

Also if mainstream is a pure question of azar, why so many attempts
to modify (to adapt) LISP? I see that atempt also in recent Arc
development.

Because of taste. And because most people don't recognise that
popularity of languages is purly coincidence.

And if again is pure coincidence, why traditional LISP survives,
whereas any other attempt to modify LISP is forgotten in the past? If
popularity is pure azar, then about a 50% of today used LISPs would be
traditional LISP and another 50% (aprox) would be alternative LISPs;
e.g. LISPs with ALGOL-like syntax.

As far as I know LISP community has always rejected alternative LISPs
because lacking power or elegance or both not because coins.

Again data does not support your assertions.

From a personal point of view I like LISP before Java or C, and Scheme
before CL... I can assure you my preferences are not at azar and
current popularity of Java does not change my view -I really hate
Java-.

  • Re: ILC2005: McCarthy denounces Common Lisp, "Lisp", XML, and Rahul
    ... >> the language should be available to users. ... In the design of Common Lisp, I asked Dave Moon (one of the architects ... Now, there are good kinds of low-level, like the way that floats are ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: CollabRx seeks brilliant engineers for an excellent e-science adventure
    ... belief that lisp programmers are smarter/better. ... Java or PHP programmers. ... a type of language that attracts a personality that meets my perceptions ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Whats the best language to learn...
    ... on processors designed to run Lisp and Lisp OSes. ... byte-addressed memory, has native support for variable-sized value types, ... popular OO language, rather a language about like that of Delphi would have ... lisp, java, ruby, etc. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Program compression
    ... TM> supported by your favorite language (LISP) are good concepts. ... then call the Java compiler to compile that source file to a Class ... TM-STC> Since static type checking makes run-time type checks unnecessary, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Is anybodys favorite computer programming language not included here?
    ... to talk about getting me some paying work writing Java classes. ... and could be copied to a script (as in Java BeanShell or Lisp PROG). ... >> please post a followup saying what language it is, ... Server: "Mother, ...
    (comp.programming)