Re: Porting Ruby snippet to Lisp

Brian Adkins <lojicdotcomNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Zach Beane wrote:
There is no self/this.

Sure there is, it just doesn't have to be named self or this. Consider
the following contrived example:

[SNIP]

I wasn't commenting on the pros/cons of either approach just trying to
determine if I misunderstood something.

You did. the bit you misunderstood is
"There is no self/this."

Now you have had two experienced lispers say this, so instead
of retorting once more with an example that shows we're wrong,
try to kick you thinking into a different plane, to see if you
can understand what it is we're saying, and why we're saying it.

You might discover something useful.

I don't mean to be snipy or obnoxious here --- this is a common
"failure to learn" symptom. I'm honestly encouraging you to
look at this again from a fresh perspective.

--ap

  • Re: A simple question?
    ... I'm not saying it is a definition. ... The phrase has one free variable. ... properly rendered with another formula that has three free variables. ... what I'm saying is that even though I may be misunderstood by ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: differrence between yum remove and yum erase
    ... But this relation is not reflexive.Just because program A is dependent ... Either you misunderstood what Krishna said or I'm misunderstanding what ... you're saying. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Science v God: the showdown
    ... a mystery fifth gospel apparently written by Christ himself saying ... "You've misunderstood. ... Apparently the church ... were quite upset and hushed it up, not because they'd lose power but ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Has Gordon just committed political suicide?
    ... Check out the body language as soon as it starts playing....... ... Apparently this woman did sound like a bigot, she was saying stuff like... ... emerged to say that he had "misunderstood" her earlier when he spoke ... That's Brown back in spin mode. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Light positions: view space?
    ... > Ahh, now I see what you are saying. ... Sorry, misunderstood your original ... the room and the light should move/transform together ...