Re: Modern Lisp machine

C Y <smustudent1@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Jun 14, 6:56 pm, Ari Johnson <iamthe...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since tagged pointers would be easy to do and the hardware is readily
available and fairly inexpensive, it would theoretically not be all
that hard to build a next-generation Lisp machine on an amd64 system.
You'd need to put a lot of work into it, of course, but the end result
could certainly be quite worth it.

Any thoughts on this hare-brained idea?

It's a neat one. Of course, in a TRUE bootstrap situation you need to
be able to build hardware that can be (at least in theory) built
without having to use a computer to control the machines needed to
make the hardware, and once you've got the hardware that can do that
you don't have a true bootstrap situation (in the "hardest" sense)
since you have at least the computers needed to make an amd64 already
present. For today's hardware however, it's a very interesting idea.

I certainly wasn't thinking of going that far. My idea isn't to play
around with the world of bootstrapping from desert sand into a working
system so much as to have a nifty workstation.

I guess my first thought would be that to build a new Lisp machine, a
lot of pieces not covered by ANSI would be needed - drivers, video
display, etc. Would all that need to be re-designed from the
beginning? (I'm assuming it would be if the full benefit from the
drivers is to be realized.)

You could always build ANSI CL on top of whatever dialect of Lisp you
end up exposing to the user from the OS.
.