Re: The Lisp experience - 19-year old college student asks for help in #lisp, has to wait half an hour for a response; asks in #python, gets the answer in 6 minutes. Gives up on Lisp... "I'll wait for Arc, thanks."

On Jun 21, 6:18 am, Larry Clapp <l...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2007-06-21, Khookie <chris.k...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 21, 6:22 am, Jon Harrop <j...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://classbug.com:3000/post/main.html

:-)

So what did it actually say? The link was down.

Basically a Lisp-curious kid (19-year-old) has a bad experience on
#lisp (the IRC channel), says no wonder our community is so small, and
abandons Lisp (the language).

[ Disclaimer: I didn't read his #lisp logs. ]

#lisp, it seems to me, is *user*-friendly, but not especially
*beginner*-friendly.

I suppose we shouldn't point him to Erik.

-- L

I like his past posts.

Slobodan Blazeski

My apologies to those who like Java, C#, PHP, Delphi, Visual Basic,
Perl, Python, Ruby, COBOL,F#,Ocaml or any other language. I know you
think you
know a better language than lisp. All I can say is I do, too!

  • Re: Is Lisp ready to become popular?
    ... the lack of "standard" networking libraries and the like, the fact that free Lisps depend on Emacs as an editor and Emacs is _not_ the default editor of many developers, the unfortunate fact that Lisp syntax is so obviously different. ... It's generating a fair amount of conversation in the Java community. ... Tate is clearly impressed by Ruby, but he dismisses Lisp's chances based on its "history and reputation to overcome". ... or in a programming language ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: ILC2005: McCarthy denounces Common Lisp, "Lisp", XML, and Rahul
    ... >> the language should be available to users. ... In the design of Common Lisp, I asked Dave Moon (one of the architects ... Now, there are good kinds of low-level, like the way that floats are ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: CollabRx seeks brilliant engineers for an excellent e-science adventure
    ... belief that lisp programmers are smarter/better. ... Java or PHP programmers. ... a type of language that attracts a personality that meets my perceptions ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Whats the best language to learn...
    ... on processors designed to run Lisp and Lisp OSes. ... byte-addressed memory, has native support for variable-sized value types, ... popular OO language, rather a language about like that of Delphi would have ... lisp, java, ruby, etc. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Program compression
    ... TM> supported by your favorite language (LISP) are good concepts. ... then call the Java compiler to compile that source file to a Class ... TM-STC> Since static type checking makes run-time type checks unnecessary, ...
    (comp.programming)