Re: howto use defmacro.

db> Stefan Mandl wrote:
>> I think that the "template"-model really sets beginners on a
>> wrong track which will confuse them a for a long time until
>> they realize what's really going on. I wish I had been given
>> Pascal's advice when I was learning about macros.

db> Yes, it's too bad if you weren't. But that doesn't mean it
db> should be the first explanation you ever see, especially as an
db> introductory example of how macros are "simple". Anyway,
db> there are lots of things that confuse beginners, so I think
db> it's good to start them with simple templates and build up
db> from there. I don't think it causes long-term confusion, but
db> that's just my opinion.

As either a newb, or someone who was recently a newb, I have to agree
with Pascal and Stefan. I didn't really start to understand macros
until I read _On Lisp_ and started writing functions to generate what
I wanted expanded.

The classic template-style examples for macro writing are misleading
because they lead you to believe that a macro is almost like a
function, except for some wierd commas and backquotes.

Pascal's advice would have helped me too, because it gets you
immediatly to the heart of the problem.

-- Joe

PS: to Dan -- sorry about the e-mail, I used the wrong post command!
(see, once a newb...)

  • Re: Templates and Macros
    ... including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, ... Here is some general info on moving from Word Perfect to Word: ... As for converting documents from Word Perfect to _use_ in Word... ... this new document as a Word template. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Understanding Macros
    ... I'm assuming you put the VBA macro code into your forms template. ... Choose an appropriate name for the toolbar ... list, find Macros. ... Okay, I deleted the "Option Explicit" line, ran again. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Placing Individual Building Blocks on Ribbon
    ... the macros and the building blocks are in the same template. ... Sub TagNoteTagClick ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
  • Re: Placing Individual Building Blocks on Ribbon
    ... the macros and the building blocks are in the same template. ... Sub TagNoteTagClick ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
  • Re: Understanding Macros
    ... followed all of your responses and my spell check is working in my template. ... Choose an appropriate name for the toolbar ... list, find Macros. ... OK, for the moment, just delete the line that says "Option Explicit". ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)