Re: newbie: Emacs require cl - other Lisps

Didier Verna wrote:
Tamas Papp <tkpapp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You are getting it wrong. Emacs Lisp is not the "standard" from which
other Lisps deviate, it is a special purpose Lisp for the Emacs
editor. For general programming, people use either Common Lisp or
Scheme.

As a matter of fact, Emacs Lisp is probably the worst Lisp
dialect ever :-) I, for one, would like to replace XEmacs's lisp engine
by a true Common Lisp one. But I know at least one other XEmacs
maintainer who would strongly disagree... his name is Mike Sperber.

See the problem ? :-)

You could try to agree on ISLISP, which should be easier to access from both Common Lisp and Scheme.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net

  • Re: Scheme vs Common Lisp: war stories
    ... When you switch from programming in Common Lisp to programming in Scheme ... that could have worked just as well -- techniques that look almost exactly ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme
    ... dislike blatantly arguing with people over language choice. ... I think that if you can get over S-exps then Scheme and Common Lisp ... feel very like python. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Noob Wonders: Lisp-1 vs. Lisp-2
    ... “Now, the question is, why do Lisps before Common Lisp have this multi- ... language that is characterized by uncommon or pretentious ... losing the debate, and I felt it wasn't for reasons I considered "fair". ... using the term "Scheme" as the opponent position. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: the jargon lisp1 vs lisp2
    ... it's no accident that Scheme is on the side of 1 ... multiple, arguably redundant, conditional constructs [sorted out by ... term (Common Lisp wise) might be that scheme has sterile macros. ... I'm reminded of the old joke about an MIT student and a Harvard ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: potential bug in REPL in newLISP-GS in newLISP v.10.0.1
    ... Are you sure it was Common Lisp? ... STYLE-WARNING: redefining F in DEFUN ... I mainly use Scheme and Haskell. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)