Re: Flamebait if I ever saw it

Klaus Schilling wrote:
Jon Harrop <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Having first-class lexical closures does make a functional language.

Python, Perl, Lua, Ruby have those too

Are you sure Python does?

Many functional languages have their own newsgroups, not just Lisp.

Not every Lisp has lexical closures.
McCarthy's original Lisp, Emacs Lisp, Franz Lisp bind free variables
to their calling environment.

I didn't realise Franz's Lisp didn't...

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u

  • Re: What is the barrier to entry into modern lisp applicative programming?
    ... I recently read Ruby really wasn't as mature and stable as we're led ... With that approach you'd be done by now and well on your way to finishing your own implementation of Lisp. ... of Ruby or Python. ... Any obstacles that would have set off my language design alarms got steamrolled before the alarms got noticed. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme
    ... Consider this python code: ... 15 while stack: ... 12;; like os.listdir, but traverses directory trees ... Forgetting to indent properly in a lisp program does not yield ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme
    ... Consider this python code: ... 15 while stack: ... 12;; like os.listdir, but traverses directory trees ... Forgetting to indent properly in a lisp program does not yield ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Better is better: improving productivity through programming languages
    ... > Lisp tomorrow morning, Monday, at 9am. ... Where does he think Python came from? ... the candidates today are clearly Ruby, Python, and perhaps on Java, Groovy." ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: A problem statement (and a proposed solution)
    ... I think the sweet expressions thing was already done. ... "dynamic" languages like Python and Ruby. ... that set Lisp apart have been copied by Python, Ruby, even Perl to ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)