Re: Impractical Common Lisp (Quiz)

On 2007-10-27, Jeff Shrager <JShrager@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

Similarly, instead of
writing books called "Practical Common Lisp", we ought to write one
called "Impractical Common Lisp" which, instead of highlighting that
Lisp can do the same "real" (read: work-a-day) computing that you can
do in other "real" (read: "work-a-day") languages. What would be the
chapters of such a book/elements of such a quiz. Here are some
candidates:

As the person who posted the ruby quiz I do not know if I agree
with you doing this as a replacement. The main use of ruby quiz,
in my opinion is as a marketing and training tool to/for the
developers involved and the language. The way I see it is not a
programming contest but a newsletter with feed back from the
community. To do this you need the following:

1: an editor to manage the processes, time consuming job
1.1: request articles, problems, from the community
1.2: review them, size and complexity good fit check spelling etc.
1.3: deal with submissions.
1.4: provide reasonably detailed feed back to the community

2: Tech support
2.1: website
2.2: CMS system, for production management
2.3: Testing infrastructure
2.4: reporting on results
2.5: bells and whistles, TBD
2.6: things I do not know about but are absolutely critical.

To make this work you need #1 and #2 would be nice to have. I will
freely admit that things in #2 will make #1 much easier, but it is
just not necessary. And the simple fact is that this will be a lot of
work to do for the people running it and someone needs to do it and
they need to be a fairly advanced developer to accurately scope the
problems for your target audience.

Now to get back on message the main value here is not that people
write code to win. It is that several people write solutions and
that they can look at other people work to see how they did it *and*
that still more people can comment on the code to explain how they
could make it better if they did it again, new algorithm or better
coding practices or something else. And this is how you build community
and grow developers. And that is what I see as the primary benefit
of ruby quiz is for ruby. This would also apply to CL if something
like that happend here.

* Write a web listener that enables you to directly execute code in
the language through the web in a live programming environment - now
build a time-sharing system out of it! (My personal favorite for
obvious reasons.)

* Add a new kind of conditional construct to the language; perhaps one
that executes its sub-clauses in parallel and you get the result for
the one that returns first, or some such thing.

* Similarly (although on a larger scale), put a theorem prover (or, if
you prefer, prolog interpreter) right into the programming language/
environment.

* Change the MOP. For example, brain-damage it to look like Ruby. :-)

Other ideas?

Please keep track of the target audience, can a Jr programmer do this in
8-24 hours after working a full day? This would include research time.

marc

--
ms4720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Impractical Common Lisp (Quiz)
    ... There is already a Lisp quiz that serves these functions. ... As the person who posted the ruby quiz I do not know if I agree ... request articles, problems, from the community ... the language through the web in a live programming environment - now ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Programmers unpaid overtime.
    ... > programming and society only when you start with a specific problem", ... The charter is just a charter, now about 10+ years old IIRC. ... If it serves the comp.pogramming community then ... the victim culture/worldview seems to be very popular among some ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Religious Broadcasting (In the context of Community Radio) 2
    ... lets ignore the rest of the community and pretend that all there ... is in Anytown is the Christian community. ... which certainly means Christian programming. ... the promotion of economic development and of social enterprises; ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: [EGN] Hoisting Loop Invariants (Was: Re: [EGN] Numerical Accuracy)
    ... This isn't about politics, this is about ... You'd probably know that if you spent time worrying about programming ... What would be staggering in a technical community would be the discovery ... Austin, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: What languages do you regularly use besides forth?
    ... What Forth made "simple enough for one person to do alone" has to do with only one part of programming-- the expression of an idea into code. ... Unless we're talking about "code monkeys" who take other's specifications and crank out code, programming is also about expressing one's experience and knowledge. ... What all this has to do with community is this: In every community, the knowledge and experience and technique and creativity is something that the experts attempt to pass on to others. ... But more important, in those programming language communities where sharing is an active part of the culture, libraries represent a kind of professional maturity that I wish I saw more in comp.lang.forth-- the maturity that recognizes one's own limits and that not everyone is an expert in all things. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)