Re: Learning Lisp in Linux?

OMouse wrote:
On Oct 28, 5:51 am, Ken Tilton <kennytil...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Klaus Schilling wrote:

Ken Tilton <kennytil...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Wow, I am really out on a limb there. It would be pretty easy to take
me down by naming a superior or even near equal environment.

The GNU Emacs is vastly superior to any enviornment,
as denied by fools only.

Klaus Schilling

We have to start a new survey for Schemers trying to sneak into the
Common Lisp fold from the Scheme failed experiment ... ah, there ya go:

Sorry but I can't hear you, I'm reading through the Scheme language
specification for the 123901287387th time in a row! LA LA LA, it's
only 50 pages (R5RS that is, R6RS is the red-headed step child at the
moment).

Hey, you almost got the reference, too!

Of course now you have to reply that it's 50 pages because Schemers
have ADD or AD/HD, or are academics that generalize everything and
never get real work done.

Patiently waiting for an intriguing and hilarious response,
Rudolfo lah

Actually, I am way too saddened (but not surprised) by the density of this latest wave of trolls, too dull to recognize a screamingly obvious reference to the sneering remark somewhere Schemily prominent about the Scheme spec being shorter than the CL spec's index. Lispers (we own the name now) have long wanted greater mindshare, and I have long warned them of the human dregs that would follow. You are commended for proving The Kenny right again, tho my infallibility must be getting tedious in its own right, and for occasioning a reprise of the best line of 2007 and possibly the century, in reply to R6's bloating up to hundreds of pages -- anyone got the reference? Not me:

"It's going to be tough coming up with an index that big."

Priceless.

kzo

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"Career highlights? I had two. I got an intentional walk
from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets."."
- Bob Uecker

  • Re: larceny vs. identifier-syntax
    ... discovering where identifiers occur as expansion happens. ... The problem, as you point out, with the above, is the reference of 'x' ... This is not allowed in any Scheme system of which I know. ... implicit phasing really deals only with inter library phase ...
    (comp.lang.scheme)
  • Re: How to update an agrument passed by name in scheme
    ... what would you call the thing in Scheme with an external representation of the form (x. ... I was not trying to give an introductory treatment. ... that any use of the two words "by" and "reference" consecutively in the same sentence trigger a rewrite rule in your brain. ... confusion -- precisely the kind of confusion that we are seeing here. ...
    (comp.lang.scheme)
  • Re: How to update an agrument passed by name in scheme
    ... people say "say how much easier it is to do this thing in Scheme as opposed to whatever other language". ... But passing by reference is exceptionally easy in some of those other languages, and not so easy in Scheme, which, based on this thread, cannot be done trivially. ... that foo is an ordinary procedure, then without even knowing what foo does, we can safely conclude that the result of the expression is 5. ...
    (comp.lang.scheme)
  • Re: arrays = pointers?
    ... If it turns out that the memory scheme used by .NET is less efficient than other possible schemes, well...let's just say that wouldn't be the first time some major blunder was made when creating some computer architecture. ... If something is referenced only once or twice, then it doesn't matter how long it takes to resolve that reference. ... And it would require the compiler to do more work. ...
  • Re: How to update an agrument passed by name in scheme
    ... Scheme, which, based on this thread, cannot be done trivially. ... passed by reference in Scheme. ... What the OP meant by "passed by name" can also be described as "passing a variable by reference". ... In Algol 60, the problem was that the language had side effects, which don't mix well with call by name. ...
    (comp.lang.scheme)