Re: Using MAKE-INSTANCE, INITIALIZE-INSTANCE and REINITIALIZE-INSTANCE

On Nov 6, 12:10 pm, Ken Tilton <kennytil...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pillsy wrote:

It feels "wrong" for some reason, but I can't put my finger on why,
and maybe it's a common way of doing things.

I think it feels wrong because stuff-i-do-often seems not to be part of
initialization per se, you are just putting it there "to make sure it
gets done", which is more about paranoia than clean design. My guess is
that stuff-i-do-often is in fact (the first) part of some other process,
and that you will or should have it there anyway.

You may be right about this. It's also possible (and something that
had occurred to me while going through some of my recent fixing) that
the way I've decided what goes in which class may be wrong. E.g.,
maybe I should have a MODEL class (which is all the stuff that doesn't
change from run to run, or over the course of the run, like the RNA
sequence I'm looking at or the temperature) and STATE class (which
contains stuff that does change, ranging from the moves I've done so
far to which bases are paired together right now) instead.

Still, though, some of the mutable structures aren't something I
really want to allocate every time if I can avoid it; they feature
largish arrays and hash tables, and I already cons more than I'd
really like.

It's something to think about.

Cheers,
Pillsy

  • Re: Strange Porting Problem CVF to IVF, requesting help and ideas.
    ... The "correct" fix is in 2 parts - the save and the initialization. ... Actually, if the variables in question are in common, as I think I saw ... Use an initializer in the type declaration like ... initializing with a data statement or an initializer in the ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Weather (Was: OT: go nuclear. Was: Detecting ETI via CO2)
    ... Interestingly from other discussions I've had, there is a common 'feeling' that the world is too huge and Man is too feeble for us to have any discernible effect. ... The initial effects are ice-melting not rises in temperature - but once the ice has gone ... ... The scientists stopped short of directly blaming the melting trend on global warming but said they have few other explanations at this point. ... a cyclical atmospheric circulation pattern called the Arctic Oscillation was believed to have been pushing sea ice out of the region and into adjacent waters. ...
    (sci.astro.seti)
  • Re: Major analysis confirms global warming is real
    ... "The most common definition is the decadal average: ... These are normally compared with some sort of reference temperature, ... it seems more common these ... you have given three different possible interpretations of what the "warming rate" means. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • LOLOLOL Hey CJ what we were talking about..
    ... Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by ... not enough space for lowio initialization ... CreateFileA UnmapViewOfFile GetLocalTime GetLastError LocalFree ... hygiene course. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)