Re: basic questions

On Nov 19, 3:50 pm, carte...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Why can't I do this:

lisp hello.lisp
or
lisp -load hello.lisp
or
lisp -file hello.lisp

If I can't run a simple Hello World console application, I might as
well give up.

Thanks, CC.

So, why do you want to exit your Lisp after printing "Hello World"?
I'd never do that. I'd like to debug, run, code and test my `Hello
World'-application so it would print "Hello World!!!!11!1!!" instead
-- and I'd like to do it all using Lisp itself.

Don't you have an operating system that can start or run multiple
processes -- even processes/servers in the background?

(but ok, others have answered)

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/

  • Re: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme
    ... Thomas> How could you have both noncongruent argument lists, and multiple ... Lisp chose the right one. ... To dispatch: instead of just ... and there are no restricting "generic functions". ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme
    ... Thomas> How could you have both noncongruent argument lists, and multiple ... Lisp chose the right one. ... To dispatch: instead of just ... and there are no restricting "generic functions". ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: SBCL is now faster than Java, as fast as Ocaml, and getting better
    ... Multiple values in e.g. Java isn't done very often ... and it is now two-nil in my favour! ... Try to keep up, Kenny! ... only in passing that Lisp made it more elegant. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: What gives you power in CL, that you dont have in other languages
    ... All modern FPLs may be considered as very advanced extensions to Lisp. ... Your "tuple" incurs costly heap allocation when it is created and bounds ... Multiple values don't occur heap allocation. ... Push and pop are thought of as destructive (this is cross-posted to ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: About graphics and big amounts of data.
    ... Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote: ... For now I experiment with details, so C/C++ ... or assembler are inappropriate. ... It's really surprising that Lisp ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)