Re: basic questions

On Nov 19, 2:43 pm, carte...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Nov 19, 1:38 pm, Ken Tilton
We wish. Hounds on stand-by.

I take this to mean that you want to shut the door on the Lisp
community and lock it, admitting no new users or new learners. If you
typify the Lisp community, I can understand why it's such a small and
ingrown community.

The small and ingrown Lisp community can certainly do without people
with master's degrees in CS who can't figure out the right way to pass
a command line argument to a Unix application.

Quality over quantity.

  • Re: ECL 0.9j-p1
    ... It would help the growth of the Lisp community if Common Lisp were ... CLISP might seem to be the top remaining contender. ... That leaves ECL. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Any macro for inserting math "normally"
    ... I'm not really concerned with whether Lisp is popular. ... algebraic/infix notation has as its key feature "brevity" ... obviously right that infix notation is best for all needs. ... the strategy seems to be for the large community to ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Any macro for inserting math "normally"
    ... I do not disagree LISP might be doing the wrong thing, ... I'm not saying I wouldn't look at the result. ... In no part I am stating that one would abandon the prefix syntax by an ... community and need the help of the outsiders. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Lisp article at IBM
    ... LISP community to TeX or to any other community claiming smartness... ... with such ease and elegance. ... code with and I'm pleased I have GNU Linux, but if the rest of the world cannot ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Is Lisp a Blub?
    ... I don't much care why folks program in lisp. ... Cavallaro seems to want only folks who program in lisp for reasons ... Which approach is likely to result in a lisp community that doesn't ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)