Re: basic questions

cartercc@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I take this to mean that you want to shut the door on the Lisp
community and lock it, admitting no new users or new learners.

Yes. In fact, it is not clear how you got under the wire, we're interrogating the guards now.

If you
typify the Lisp community, I can understand why it's such a small and
ingrown community.

Boy, we saw that one coming.

Your big mistake was claiming to have read ACL and (* 3 PCL) and then being ready to give up on Lisp cuz you could not build an exe.

Computeth not. A non-troll would have read a few chapters of either book and finished his application and then come here jumping up and down with joy and a small problem, hey, how the hell do I deliver this thing!!!

Your post indicated you were checking on Lisp's hype when you read those four books and that you were considering abandoning the language because you could not do hello world after five minutes effort, meaning you were wondering if it was possible meaning you thought maybe Lisp was never used to program a computer. After reading four books on Lisp.

chya!, as the kids would say.

Suggest you get a new email and try again.

kenny

ps. Actually, I am hoping you are a troll, if you are for real...oh my. k

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
in the evening, die content!"
-- Confucius

  • Re: ECL 0.9j-p1
    ... It would help the growth of the Lisp community if Common Lisp were ... CLISP might seem to be the top remaining contender. ... That leaves ECL. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Any macro for inserting math "normally"
    ... I'm not really concerned with whether Lisp is popular. ... algebraic/infix notation has as its key feature "brevity" ... obviously right that infix notation is best for all needs. ... the strategy seems to be for the large community to ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Any macro for inserting math "normally"
    ... I do not disagree LISP might be doing the wrong thing, ... I'm not saying I wouldn't look at the result. ... In no part I am stating that one would abandon the prefix syntax by an ... community and need the help of the outsiders. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Lisp article at IBM
    ... LISP community to TeX or to any other community claiming smartness... ... with such ease and elegance. ... code with and I'm pleased I have GNU Linux, but if the rest of the world cannot ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Is Lisp a Blub?
    ... I don't much care why folks program in lisp. ... Cavallaro seems to want only folks who program in lisp for reasons ... Which approach is likely to result in a lisp community that doesn't ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)