Re: Reasons to choose CLISP over other free implementations

On 28 nov, 22:25, Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <dont-email...@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Javier <javu...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'm testing some AI things. I'm not actually doing any professional
work on software development.
I was using OSX, but switched to Linux, as I discovered that Linux
treats programmers (specially Lisp programmers) much better.

Huh? What makes you make that statement? (I have been using both Linux
and OS X for years now and did not have any experience justifying such
a statement for myself - so: I'd really like to know ...)

Just three examples:

- CLISP was not avaible for Intel OSX for more than one year. I don't
know if it is avaible right now. Elsewhere, you still need to install
a lot of foreing stuff in order to make it run.
- SBCL thread support is very experimental and not enabled by default
on OSX.
- GTK is working badly on OSX (you have to install X11 which is not
nice and works slowly and not very well integrated), and compiling it
might be a hell. So bingins for GTK are working bad for Lisp
implementations.

  • Re: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
    ... exactly the same way with osx if he desired. ... OSX isn't arcane, but its UNIX under pinnings certainly are, and those ... if not geekier than any LINUX user. ... Now we know that that is not going to hinder Floyd is any way, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Externe Festplatte zum Datenaustausch Linux/Mac
    ... Aber fuer viele oder grosse Dateien ist es schlicht nicht zu gebrauchen. ... Wintendo cacht dabei sehr aggressiv, ... Linux verwenden will, weiterhin soll das FS erhebliche Probleme mit unclean ... OSX kenne. ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
    ... been given is best described as arcane geekery. ... People claim all sorts of things, like any one not using osx or adobe ... improving their photography. ... Exactly the same as linux then. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Taking of installing stuff in different OSs ..
    ... saying OSX is broken, just that I don't gel with it. ... On your Linux maybe. ... I felt very much at home with Ubuntu from the ... Often they install the wrong things, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Die Zukunft des Linux Desktops?
    ... Die Konsole ist ein Verbrechen in OSX ... OSX-GUI leichter machen kann als mit KDE ... Linuxinstallationen immer sowas von völlig spielend ausgeknockt (Windows ... Linux sehe ich vom OS her gar keine, ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)