Re: CLtL2 copyright question

Tim Bradshaw <tfb+google@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Common Lisp needs a publicly-modifiable specification for many
reasons, of which here are a few examples.

No, it doesn't. What it needs is for people to experiment with and
later standardise on new features. Those standards, when they are
agreed, can simply refer back to the original standard and describe
what they are modifying.

Yes, and without a standards committee (which there shall never be) or a
BDFL (which there can never be), later standardisation will never
happen. De facto standardisation will never really happen either--IIRC
there are still implementations lacking Gray Streams, no?

If infinite rednecks fired infinite shotguns at an infinite number of road
signs, they'd eventually create all the great literary works of the world in
braille. --Discordian Quote File

  • Re: Cantor Confusion
    ... call their use of the infinite and infinitessimals at all "sound" by ... mathematics would not be considered acceptable by today's standards. ... arithmetic assumptions down to some basic axioms, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Why does everyone do it?
    ... According to your standards: yes. ... It is weird that infinite sets "exist". ... naturals N to the even naturals 2N determines a bijection between N ... people in the street know what I completed set is but I don't, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Why not add namespace feature into standard C?
    ... features, I can't understand why not add this feature into standard C. ... Because the standards people were more concerned with adding arbitrary ... All the compiler vendors have balked. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Can Fortran ever become logically complete?
    ... describe circumstances around the way standards were historically changed ... and features added. ... But, regardless, my take on Fortran language development is the complete opposite. ... It would appear you've lived a charmed life surrounded by expert programmers solving simple problems. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: How to get a paper published as an independent unknown
    ... > For a number of years have been doing independent research into the question ... Rejection letters usually give some reasons for rejection; ... get to find out the standards expected and then go and meet them. ...
    (sci.physics.research)