Re: A question (confusion) about closure

viper-2 <visionat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On May 6, 3:57 am, Didier Verna <did...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Emacs Lisp is probably the worst Lisp dialect ever.

On the contrary, Emacs Lisp (Elisp) works very well for its
constitutents who use the dialect as it was intended - primarily to
customize and extend "the extensible, customizable, self-documenting,
real-time display editor" Emacs.

You have got to be kidding me. I don't see how being dynamically
scoped by default helps you in any way (even in a self-blah-blah editor
in which user options could simply be defined in terms of CL's
defparameter). I don't see how not having lexical scope helps you in any
way either.

On the other hand, I (among others) maintain XEmacs, Gnus, BBDB, and a
few packages of my own, and I can tell you how I wish Emacs Lisp had
CLOS, or simply were just Common-Lisp in the first place.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "customize and extend [...]" ? Today,
XEmacs has 30% (~ 150000 lines) of its code base written in elisp; Gnus
alone amounts to 140000 lines, and I'm not even speaking of XEmacs'SUMO
tarballs (the whole external libraries shipped as packages). I wouldn't
call elisp an "extension language" anymore.

--
5th European Lisp Workshop at ECOOP 2008, July 7: http://elw.bknr.net/2008/

Didier Verna, didier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire Tel.+33 (0)1 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France Fax.+33 (0)1 53 14 59 22 didier@xxxxxxxxxx

  • tip: How to Define Optional Parameters in Emacs Lisp
    ... How to Define Optional Parameters in Emacs Lisp ... don't know the basic of elisp, you should read Emacs Lisp Basics ... (search-forward string &optional bound noerror count) ...
    (comp.emacs)
  • Re: emacs lisp programming help
    ... Use the "Interactive Emacs Lisp Mode". ... ELISP> (cons 'foo 'bar) ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Working with constants
    ... Cecil Westerhof wrote: ... possible in Emacs Lisp and needed to put '*' or '+' around the variables ... (info "(elisp) ... Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht ...
    (comp.emacs)
  • Re: emacs Lisp String Output
    ... been using scratch... ... I think this is a serious oversight in the Elisp ... Lisp, which is related to, but different from Emacs Lisp. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: newbie: Emacs require cl - other Lisps
    ... For Emacs Lisp, see comp.emacs and comp.emacs.xemacs. ... Common Lisp packages, neither any kind of namespace support, so it's ... LaTeX or Debian packages for instance, that is, add-on libraries that can be ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)