Re: A question (confusion) about closure

In article
<7a360a2d-c283-41d4-a4f5-40c176fb4d12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
viper-2 <visionat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On May 6, 12:14 pm, Didier Verna <did...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
viper-2 <visio...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 6, 3:57 am, Didier Verna <did...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You have got to be kidding me. I don't see how being dynamically
scoped by default helps you in any way (even in a self-blah-blah editor
in which user options could simply be defined in terms of CL's
defparameter). I don't see how not having lexical scope helps you in any
way either.

Remember that Elisp (a variant of MacLisp) preceded Common Lisp, hence
no CLOS.

Well, RMS worked on the Lisp Machine. He even wrote manuals for it.
He wrote for example the Zmail manual
and co-wrote the Window System Manual. He knew the system very well.
Including Flavors, the object system. He himself wrote an
object-system before there was Flavors. Lisp Machine Lisp was
dynamically scoped with some support for closures.
There was more experience with dynamically scoped Lisps at that time.

The reasons for the use of dynamic scoping have to do with
the design decisions RMS made at the time he decided to rewrite his
TECO based EMACS. I believe (but I could be wrong here) that at the
time, Steele's and Sussman's Scheme project performed poorly with
lexical scoping. Dynamic scoping was thought to be more efficient; see
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html#SEC17.

Well, the language Elisp could have been changed - if lexical scope
or an object system had been important to the language users.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "customize and extend [...]" ?

I quoted this from the GNU EMACS Manual http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/emacs.html.

That is how EMACS is commonly referred to by its devotees. Maybe
someone else would clue you in? I'd like to go into more detail, but
I'm completely tied up right now with my law project - the ICC and
suppression of a complaint ( reference Nos. OTP-CR-313/04 and 113-07/
VZ/OO) against the University of Aberdeen (Scotland) for the crime of
apartheid. :-(

I would much prefer to spend my time with mathematics, engineering,
and Lisp.

agt

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/

  • Lisp Celebrities and Computing History from Worse Is Better
    ... Lisp Celebrities and Computing History from Worse Is Better ... user program must be saved. ... invoked the system routine so that resumption of the user program ... especially involving lisp, emacs, unix. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: How To Learn Lisp
    ... HOW TO LEARN LISP ... it's built on a beast of a text editor called ... Emacs which is supposed to be all-powerful. ... I guess the nightmare learning curve you imply that makes it such a beast ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • My interests are converging onto emacs - my emacs office, no, OS!
    ... editor, but I got interested in lisp, and what do you know, I got ... led me to be recommended ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics) for R, ... I'm also getting again into chess and that found me Emacs Chess. ... emacs :-) - and regular expressions already anyway so perl, ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: The vagueness of the definition of LOOp
    ... its technical merits, Ylikoski, and making decisions regarding ... As for my non-usage of Common Lisp, the fragmented ecosystem dominated by proprietary software vendors is like a bad recollection of the early days of C/Unix, the all-caps conversion of symbol names brings back unfond memories of BASIC accompanied by eyestrain and headaches, I'm deathly allergic to emacs, and meanwhile there are some nice free software Lisps maturing on open platforms like the JVM that have access to big modern portable non-proprietary library and tool ecosystems like the JVM's and lack all of Common Lisp's legacy baggage. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: reading file to list
    ... Common Lisp is the other way around. ... that many old emacs users, which includes significant portion of emacs ... 2 fundamental problems of lisp i feel this ruby ... The way the above works is that each of f, g, h is a lambda themselves ...
    (comp.lang.python)