Re: A question (confusion) about closure

On May 6, 3:00 pm, Rainer Joswig <jos...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
In article
<7a360a2d-c283-41d4-a4f5-40c176fb4...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

Well, RMS worked on the Lisp Machine. He even wrote manuals for it.
He wrote for example the Zmail manual
and co-wrote the Window System Manual. He knew the system very well.
Including Flavors, the object system. He himself wrote an
object-system before there was Flavors. Lisp Machine Lisp was
dynamically scoped with some support for closures.
There was more experience with dynamically scoped Lisps at that time.

Hmmm, thank you Rainer; that was informative. I didn't realize that
RMS had written an object system. I must remember to refer to you when
I'm looking for historical tidbits.

agt

  • Re: A question (confusion) about closure
    ... Including Flavors, the object system. ... Lisp Machine Window System Manual. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: eshewing CLOS-style OOP in Common Lisp?
    ... I'm new to Lisp in the last couple days. ... Finally the language ... Then I got to the CLOS chapters of "Practical Common Lisp" and thought ... people use an alternative object system, since CLOS is in general more ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Programming Paradigms in Lisp
    ... and lisp has lots more where those came from. ... too (modulo security manager restrictions). ... the fact that namespacing and scoping are controlled ... outside of the object system isn't a benefit of the object system, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: merits of Lisp vs Python
    ... the object system what to expect (so it can do things like update the ... He is not suggesting a different object system for Lisp. ... such as the ability to redefining a method at runtime. ... but rather that a similar level of dynamism is achieved in ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: C++ sucks for games
    ... Lisp object system, but somehow skillfully manages to exclude the C++ ... >> such as access specifiers. ... Common Lisp supports access control, just not in the same way as C++. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)