Re: New notation

Dihydrogen Monoxide wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:57:45 +0000, Andrew Reilly wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2008 06:43:05 +0000, Dihydrogen Monoxide wrote:

I think I'll stick around. I love lisp. It just makes my eyes bleed
with the parens.
Not really. You're just not used to absence of the dust of commas and
semicolons. You'll get used to the cleanliness eventually.

Actually, successive symbols strings like ))))))) give me a headache. I call it symbol shock. I don't know why.

I suppose I can live with
)
)
)

yeah, and make it "XML-based" while you're at it

you say you "love lisp" but apparently you do not know anything about lisp .. maybe this works in love, but dunno how far it'll get you

you can go from this:

void someFunction()
{
if(1)
{
a();
b();
c();
}
else
{
d();
e();
f();
}
}

...to this..

void someFunction()
{
if(1) {
a();
b();
c();
}
else {
d();
e();
f();
}
}

...to this..

void someFunction(){
if(1){
a();
b();
c();}
else{
d();
e();
f();}}

...to this..

void someFunction()
if(1)
a();
b();
c();
else
d();
e();
f();

..and instantly know that a, b, c belongs in the then-part and d, e, f belongs in the else-part - in all the examles .. your eyes do not look for syntax, only indentation when looking for structure and meaning at this level

take XML:

<person>
<name>lars</name>
<age>27</age>
</person>

...then fix it:

(person
(name lars)
(age 26))

...there, your turn; "re-fix it" for us and say you "love lisp"

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/

  • passing arguments dynamically to functions
    ... void SomeFunction (int a, int b) ... void GenericFunction (string FunctionName, ParameterCollection ... would then have no problems in validating a ParameterCollection object ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Static vs Dynamic
    ... > You don't need to in Java either by using Reflection. ... > void visit{ ... The equivalent Common Lisp code is much simpler and automagically does ... Tyler: "How's that working out for you?" ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: The difficult learning curve of Lisp
    ... programming languages because it forces your brain to operate at ... Lisp isn't just functional programming and it isn't hard, ... void *arg2, void *vect, unsigned int size, unsigned int ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: The difficult learning curve of Lisp
    ... programming languages because it forces your brain to operate at ... Lisp isn't just functional programming and it isn't hard, ... void *arg2, void *vect, unsigned int size, unsigned int type_size) ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Static vs Dynamic
    ... >> Do you have an example of a good OO design that Java forces you to ... > static void m{ ... that's not an implementation of the Visitor Pattern. ... implement the visitor pattern in Lisp because of run-time dispatching, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)