Re: Lisp Design Patterns

On 30 sep, 09:02, Pascal Costanza <p...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Related to Lisp: There are many uncodified suggestions and guidelines
for programming in Lisp. It would be a step forward if we could
formulate them as patterns, because this would create a body of
knowledge that is much easier to communicate than the typical informal
discussions we see in our community over and over again. [1]

Do you have any examples? Because everything that leaps to mind for me
already has perfectly good names and descriptions and there are good
books with solid advice on when to use them and when not (with-
macros, overriding accessors, mapping functions, unintentional
variable capture vs anaphoric macros ...). Hell, even compiling to a
network of closures has a name, and is described nicely by Graham. Is
this just a case of wanting Lispers to sound like C++ dorks and say "I
think you should use the ClosureNetwork pattern here (snort)", or am I
missing something?

  • Re: Lisp Design Patterns
    ... knowledge that is much easier to communicate than the typical informal ... variable capture vs anaphoric macros ...). ... They are not codified in the same way as patterns are. ... format is a very powerful way of structuring such descriptions. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Lisp Design Patterns
    ... knowledge that is much easier to communicate than the typical informal ... variable capture vs anaphoric macros ...). ... They are not codified in the same way as patterns are. ... Common Lisp Document Repository: http://cdr.eurolisp.org ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Sentences dont have meaning, they symbolically represent ideas
    ... cannot communicate very much without them. ... they are signals by which one mind seeks to ... create an idea in another mind ... ... these patterns like a pattern of rocks in the desert wouldn't ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Sentences dont have meaning, they symbolically represent ideas
    ... meaning other than representing itself. ... years ago thus the theist and atheist essentially can't communicate, ... will cease to exist our real existence isn't the grey matter in our ... 'Patterns', whether *causal* patterns or stochastic random patterns, ...
    (talk.origins)