Re: Your success story

Pascal Costanza schrieb:
Marco Antoniotti wrote:
On Apr 9, 1:37 am, André Thieme <address.good.until.
2009.may...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BubbaFrench schrieb:

On 6 апр, 18:50, Tamas K Papp <tkp...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 07:39:29 -0700, BubbaFrench wrote:
If anyone is participating in some military, scientific, medical
projects - you can tell me your story too, cause it's not only
enterprise business applications that form the collections of
masterpieces of programming art, I think))
I am solving economic models using Lisp, but I am certain that my
programs don't belong in any "collections of masterpieces of
programming art", more in the "barely manageable mudball" category.
Still, they would be even less manageable in any other language.
It is unclear to me what your purpose is. Are you trying to decide
whether to use Lisp? Then why just not try it on your next project,
whatever your field of expertise is? Then you will have first-hand
knowledge.
Somebody telling you about their great medical/military/etc
application won't magically give you the knowledge to write
medical/military/etc apps in Lisp, so this doesn't affect your
decision problem.
If you are just trying to gather your courage to start programming in
Lisp, drink some kosher plum brandy and sit down at the keyboard.
Tamas
The matter is, that company, I work for, does little but commercial
enterprise programming (I write in Java). There is no doubt that Java
is good for that. But there are some things, that Java cannot deal
with and Lisp can. That leads me to question - how that potential of
new programming patterns, that come with dynamic/reflexive language;
how can that potential lead to expansion of applicativity of computers
to some fields where C/C++/Java/Python/etc can do little but a big
mess, or (what is even more important), can do nothing at all))
If you already know Java then why don't you simply try Clojure?
You can recycle your knowledge of APIs and tools and get Lisp inside a
JVM. Maybe you can even convince your project manager that you can write
some of your companies code in Clojure.
But even if you just want it for your hobby projects have a look.http://clojure.org/

Or ABCL....

...or SISC or Kawa or JScheme or Stella or ...

Did you try them all out (extensively)? They all seem fine for hobby
projects, but I doubt that they are as nice to use as Clojure.
The reason for that is that very much and recent work flows into
Clojure.
Clojure offers a lot of work being done by others. It learned from CL
and Scheme and other languages and incorporated a lot of good stuff from
them. Every day 10-200 man hours of work are put into freely available
Clojure libs and tools. The other environments do not come close, even
when they are taken together.
Also Clojure offers tools to easily develop concurrent-ready applications.
Of course, those tools are available for all languages that run on the
JVM. But it's still the question how natural they are to use from other
languages. And if someone makes constantly use of those features, then
she could as well use the original.
ABCL was recently updated, but it seems that not 10 people spent
basically all their freetime to work on it (although I would find it
certainly very nice to have a very advanced CL compiler targetting the
JVM). On its front page it has big warnings about bugs and talks about
how slow it runs.
Kawas svn was also recently updated, but its official version seems to
be over two years old. Also I see no signs of a STM and other extensions.
SISCs latest version is over two years old.
JSchemes manual says that it is still in preparation. Since April 2002.

It seems these Lisps have a combined number of users which is about the
same that Clojure gets every week.

So, BubbaFrench, I suggest you to try those different Lisps out, and see
for yourself what you like most, and what makes you most productive.

André
--
Lisp is not dead. It’s just the URL that has changed:
http://clojure.org/