Re: Anyone have experience with building Windows executables with free Common Lisp implementations?

* (Pascal J. Bourguignon) <7cab6ffmjy.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
Wrote on Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:16:01 +0200:

| Open source developers expect to be delivered the _sources_ of the
| applications, not the executables. Already, with the sources I find
| it hard to trust the software, have a look at
| http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf so
| when I get a binary the first thing I do is to erase it, download the
| sources, browse them and recompile them myself.

Are you sure you're not missing the point of that classic paper? ---
Thompson is asking you to reflect on trusting the compiler and tool
chain---and just inspecting the source you are compiling will not
protect you from evil virii present in the tool chain that you are
implicitly trusting.

--
Madhu :)

  • Re: Anyone have experience with building Windows executables with free Common Lisp implementations?
    ... Thompson is asking you to reflect on trusting the compiler and tool ... protect you from evil virii present in the tool chain that you are ... implicitly trusting. ... But then, you have to trust Intel,, so you must go ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Implementing C99 compiler
    ... to have a C or C++ compiler. ... machine code directly instead of emitting assembler code and passing it ... Jonathan it is the Unix view of the toolchain. ... the "assembler") operating on a text stream; in the same tool chain ...
    (comp.std.c)
  • Re: For VIA Technologies former and current employees / contractors
    ... tool chain, and all apps built atop of that chain, all from scratch ... like, FFS, I threw together a new C compiler + VM over the past some-odd months. ... the native C version can spin in the "for" loop 782M cycles/second, and the interpreter pulls off 181M cycles/second. ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: Cortex M0 vs. M3
    ... specify the M0 core to the compiler. ... I like that video as it shows the instruction sets for the different ... the CodeSourcery tool chain pulls M3 library objects (which I ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Whats your Favorite PIC Tool Chain?
    ... Its early enough in the project that we could change the tool chain with ... understand that the PIC tends to induce peculiarities into a C compiler, ... Wescott Design Services ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)