Re: 3n+1 problem

* Raffael Cavallaro
Wrote on Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:20:22 -0700 (PDT):

| On Apr 21, 8:32 am, Espen Vestre <es...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|
|> And btw. I think the whole competition is rather boring. It's much more
|> fun to play with math stuff using bignums anyway, especially for
|> problems like this one. For instance, the sequence length divided by the
|> number of bits in the number appears to approach 7-something for large
|> numbers. Now if I only could find a theorem proving something like that
|> ;-)
|
| <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture>
|
| i.e., unlikely, since it's unproven that the sequence even terminates
| for all inputs, but I suspect you already knew that...

I think Espen Vestre was implicitly implying that if the property he
discovered could be proved, then there would be a new way to solve the
open problem.

Even if Espen's property could be shown to true for sequences that
terminate, it would open up a new (possibly IT based) approach for
solving the open problem. (So far I've not seen this approach taken in
the tiny amount of literature I've seen)

--
Madhu

  • Re: comma operator
    ... operator always terminates such a) sequence. ... I would call 1 an expression, which is terminated by a comma ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: A profound revelation of the 3n+1 problem!
    ... for 3n+p than for 3n+1 because we simply can't watch for a ... remember all the previous sequence values and constantly ... enough and n=1 and if it terminates on ...8,4,2,1 ... When is a multiple of p, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: comma operator
    ... operator always terminates such a sequence. ... operators and operands". ... hamburgers and no hamburger. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: comma operator
    ... It terminates the expression without terminating the ... subexpression. ... An expression is "a sequence of operators and operands ... that's true only because the comma operator has a lower ...