Re: Really dumb LISP question.

On 21 jul, 15:41, Tetrahedral Quartz <t.qua...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nicolas Neuss wrote:
No ordinary person has yet "significantly mastered" Common Lisp in two
weeks.

I guess I'm not ordinary then. (I do have more than two decades'
experience in IT, including with C, C++, Java, and other languages.)

Maybe a genius and expert could, but I'm sure that noone who
doesn't post to usenet under a real (and well-known) name can.

Apparently you'd be wrong about that.

Many people say that they know how to program in Lisp, but they don't.
Doing a couple of simple macros does not prove otherwise. I'm sorry,
but we can't just take your word on that.

  • Re: "Unified model" for beginners
    ... What insult would it be to say "hey, it can do something like what LISP ... languages and implementations, reduce it to that "essential essence" only ... Molecules and atoms (okay, we don't actually "see" atoms, this is a ... "subtraction" and then lots of "HLLism macros" to create all the other ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: What is Lisp used for?
    ... My main languages are Perl, Java, and ColdFusion. ... Lisp PHP FlamingThunder). ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Java vs C++
    ... There seem to be an awful lot of language mechanisms in current LISP ... which is a distinction that has no analogue in other languages. ... specification sizes in pages that predated Java and Clojure; ... JVM + javac vs. gcc vs. whatever, as binaries, on the same ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Java FACT ?
    ... it's a function in the global namespace I for one would ... As for macros -- one can hack around that lack, ... At that, Java is an improvement over C/C++, which has used ... Lisp people can see this clear as day. ...
    (comp.lang.java.advocacy)
  • Re: a LISP raytracer
    ... > None of the free Lisp compilers come close to the capabilities of Stalin. ... > OCaml does has camlp4 macros. ... My languages professor right now is a huge fan ... on OCaML, and not so much with LISP. ...
    (comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing)