Re: Free Lisp download

On 2009-07-30 14:17:29 -0400, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@xxxxxxxxx> said:

but people don't actually make this distinction with "less" and "fewer", not in
the way that you feel they should.

Ignorant people don't. Educated people do.

tough luck for you, but all the prescriptive
grammars in the world won't actually change that.

Tough luck for them when they say "He gave the paper with less typographical errors to John and I" thereby immediately characterizing their education as an indifferent one.

You clearly believe that there is no distinction among varying levels of language expertise, that all native speakers are, by virtue of being native speakers, correct in their speech. This is simply a false characerization of linguistic communities. Some people really do know the language better than others, and it is these experts we rely on to define correct speech, not the random utterances of the ignorant.

Since you refuse to cede this basic and obvious fact, there's no point in continuing this discussion.

--
Raffael Cavallaro

.