Re: Problem with the lambda form

In article <7dvkd0F2eiasoU3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Pascal Costanza <pc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What a colossal failure of imagination.

Is it necessary to use insults?

If the shoe fits. See below...

...but you actually changed the internals of two implementations (IIRC),

The depends on how you define "changing the internals". I took a stock
CL, and simply loaded a small amount of code (<100 lines) into it to
produce that result. Obviously, that code is not ANSI CL. But I did
not have to rebuild the Lisp to do what I did.

so this is an example where the claim that you can implement any
language feature using just macros does not hold.

I never claimed that you could implement any language feature using just
macros. All I said was that the claim that macros could only do local
code rewrites was false.

On top of that, you actually didn't even implement a new language
feature, you just provided alternative syntactic sugar for a feature
that's already part of Common Lisp.

I chose that example not because it's an earth-shattering new feature,
but because it's something that many people would say (and have said) is
not possible to do. Those people are clearly wrong. The only point I
want to make is that very few things are actually impossible in Lisp,
and more often than not when someone says that something is impossible
it is because they are bringing to bear some tacit but unwarranted
assumption, hence "a failure of imagination."

rg

  • Re: A "killer" macro
    ... great macro just to convince your friends that lisp is a great ... And after doing a side by side, feature by feature ... nothing new to offer beside macros. ... is could you write that same code directly in you-name it language? ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Two questions together
    ... How powerful are the macros? ... "programmable language" and as far as I know this feature is provided ... It is also said that one can hammer the Lisp so that ... whether a feature which I need is already exists in Lisp? ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Problem with the lambda form
    ... The depends on how you define "changing the internals". ... not have to rebuild the Lisp to do what I did. ... This doesn't say much about what you can and cannot do with _just_ macros. ... feature, you just provided alternative syntactic sugar for a feature ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Unhappy 2007 vs. 2003 camper?
    ... Tables vs lists ... Customizing Macro buttons ... His comment: Feature removed ... ribbon elements can be easily linked to macros - again, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Why is Word 2007 awful?
    ... Search feature, for example, has never yet found a file I wanted. ... First, the Ribbon is terrible. ... Access' toolbar was the place to put my old toolbar buttons, ... Finally, a word on macros. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)