Re: Free will

On 2010-05-27 02:15:33 -0400, His kennyness said:

So by your definition what we take to be a free-will choice must have no cause, meaning it must follow from some form of roll of the dice, which is not at all what anyone takes free will to be.

I agree with you - when people say they have free will they don't mean that when faced with a moral choice some physical process just rolls some metaphorical dice. They mean that something inherent in them, unconstrained and undetermined, causes that moral choice.

There are (at least) two kinds of philosophical non-determinism: randomness, and extra-physical cause.

People who believe in free will have traditionally believed in extra-physical cause. Only those who want to rescue the concept of free will from extra-physical cause (i.e., not me) try to reinvent free will in terms of randomness.

I don't consider randomness free will, and I don't believe in extra-physical cause (e.g., souls). So If the universe is deterministic, there's no free will, and if it contains an element of inherent randomness, that alone is still not enough to give us free will.

warmest regards,

Ralph

--
Raffael Cavallaro

  • Re: Free will
    ... no cause, meaning it must follow from some form of roll of the dice, ... some metaphorical dice. ... unconstrained and undetermined, causes that moral choice. ... randomness, and extra-physical cause. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Free will
    ... no cause, meaning it must follow from some form of roll of the dice, ... some metaphorical dice. ... randomness, and extra-physical cause. ... There is also the possibility that free will is an emergent property, where it doesn't matter whether there is determinism in the university or not, or whether there are extra-physical causes or not. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Does it cheat?
    ... dice are cheated instead if they play well or if a software is correct. ... And worst, why FIBS should cheat? ... "I prefer to get the dice from random.org because if I let gnubg roll ...
    (rec.games.backgammon)
  • Re: Werewolf the Forsaken (Was Re: The group (was Re: Guild Wars MMORPG))
    ... I haven't actually read or played the new Mage yet... ... > should provide a dice bonus. ... > The baseline roll should assume *lack* of knowledge of the target's true ... result without having the first impression be that mages can't do anything ...
    (uk.games.roleplay)
  • Re: Amazed at joker rolls on FIBS
    ... I have exposed no such thing, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with FIBS dice. ... I merely said that playing a lot of games in the same place increases the sample size so that so called joker rolls rolls can be expected to happen on a regular basis across the server dispersed amongst the games. ... these tables, I consider the randomness is quite, er... ...
    (rec.games.backgammon)