Date time stamp help

From: Dave (overkil6_at_cogeco.ca)
Date: 02/10/05

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:56:34 -0500

Hey folks,

I'm moving from ASP to PHP and I must say that on using this for only a day
it is MUCH simpler to get things going. Already have made a VERY basic blog
site for myself in a very short period of time. Anyhow I have a datetime
issue:

On my blog site I capture the date like this: $date=date("Y-m-d g-i-s");

When I display this date later it is 2 hours being my time. I'm guessing
that the servers are somewhere in the mid west - I am in the EST time zone.
Can anyone help me correct this so that I either capture the time proplerly
or display it in my zone?

Thanks,
Dave