Re: What is the difference between php & asp?

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:09:12 -0700, "Nicolas Verhaeghe"
<nospam_nicver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Newbie here, and wondering which one would be the best to implicate a job
>> board? How do I go about putting up a job board?
>>
>> I've seen stuff for php and asp but what's the difference? As a newbie
>> what
>> would be the easiest to start with?
>> I'm looking for a an easy cut and paste solution.
>>

>As a programmer who uses both languages, here is in a nutshell:
>
>Syntax:
>ASP is a Microsoft product based on the very ackward Visual Basic syntax
>(Example: If / End If).
>PHP is a C-Like, very compact and well organized. Some ackwardness, but it
>makes it more romantic ;)
>
>Hosting:
>ASP works better on Microsoft servers. There is a possibility to run ASP on
>Linux and BSD but I would not recommend, because of the fact that ASP relies
>a lot on external components that often come in the form of DLLs that you
>need to physically register on the server.
>PHP works fine on both environments but a Linux/BSD server will run your
>scripts faster than a Windows box because of the overhead (or lack thereof).
>
>Out the box solutions:
>Both languages are popular but PHP for some reason has more Open License
>solutions that you can implement for free or for a donation if you are a
>good guy (usually if your project makes you richer, you are supposed to give
>back).
>
>Toolbox:
>PHP can be easily installed with a very large number of tools such as image
>manipulation, upload, email, etc...
>ASP requires the registration of components to do that and very ackward
>object declarations. Most of these components are not free.
>
>Speed:
>ASP is very slow. Darn slow. Not suitable for traffics of thousands a day.
>Many ASP Web sites evolved towards either PHP or Dot Net when they became
>popular.
>PHP is way faster. Dot Net (ASPx) is now faster but really not popular.
>
>Database connectivity:
>ASP works better with SQL Server and Access. I have not used it with MySQL,
>because it does not make sense.
>PHP works very very well with MySQL (PostGreSQL as well, but I know nobody
>who uses it). It works fine with SQL Server and Access if you really really
>want to use these database systems, but Access is slow. SQL Server is
>costly.
>
>Simply put:
>If you have to use a Microsoft server, then use ASP/SQL Server.
>If you have to use a Linux or BSD Server (or anything Unix), then use
>PHP/MySQL.
>
>I have 3 ASP clients and the three have a substential budget. They spend
>hundreds of dollars a month just in hosting fees. Their databases are SQL
>Server in the three cases.
>
>All the others (a bunch) are PHP clients, people on a budget for the most
>part, who don't care what solution is used as long as they have a nice Web
> [...]
Thank you for that. I have wondered quite often about the differences.

  • Re: Who is using PHP today?
    ... The Object Oriented functionality new to PHP since I used it ... sense that our server is Windows 2003 and our DB is SQL Server. ... Regards the finger pointing thing....have you ever dealt with Microsoft to ... ASP, half that, C# about 100 million. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: PHP and .NET
    ... For the last several years I have been coding all server code in php. ... companies that use .NET and asp. ... better) the freely available Microsoft newsgroups. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: IIS 6.0 with ASP.NET and PHP support
    ... ASP, ASP.Net, and PHP can all co-exist on the same exact web server (exact ... PHP has its own setup. ... In any case, IIS Errors can be found in several logs, depending on its type: ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: IIS, ASP & PHP - is it possible?
    ... IIS is perfectly able to run both ASP and PHP on the same server at the ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Servererweiterungen
    ... Ob man einen eigenen Server betreibt dann halt die Kosten für ... dass ASP in Verbindung mit Frontpage ... Besser geeignet als mit Frontpage auf einem IIS laufende PHP Seiten zu ... Und das sind Spezialfälle bei denen diese Datenbanken auch vorhanden ...
    (microsoft.public.de.frontpage)