newbie querystring variables

From: Kelly Soden (ksoden_at_alltel.net)
Date: 12/06/03

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 05:14:39 -0600

I am new to PHP and am having problems using variables passed in a
querystring. For example:

<head>
<title>submit-vars.html</title>

<head>
<title>print-vars.php</title>
</head>
<?php printf("\n</br>print variable here->%s",$id); ?>

Clicking on the link in submit-vars.html calls print-vars.php producing the
following html source:

<head>
<title>print-vars.php</title>
</head>

>From the tutorials I have read, it is my understanding that PHP
automatically create a variable when it sees a name=value pair in a
querystring. Therefore I would expect the word "test" to again be printed
after "print variable here->". The behavior is the same if I submit the
querystring using a form instead of embedding it in a link. The simple PHP
scripts I have written seem to work fine except for this. What am I
missing?

My configuration is as follows:
Apache/1.3.28 (Win32), PHP/4.3.4, on Win 2K.

Apache is running in a command shell, not as a service. I have PHP loading
as a DSO, not as CGI, and have added the following lines in my httpd.conf:

LoadModule php4_module "c:/php/sapi/php4apache.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

Thanks!
-Kelly