Re: can't install PHP - keep getting "Invalid directory" error regarding the path to Apache httpd.h

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
lawrence k wrote:
I've installed Apache 1.3.36 on my Redhat EL 3 machine. Now I'm trying
to install PHP 5.1.4. I can not get the ./configure command to work. I
keep getting this error:

configure: error: Invalid Apache directory - unable to find httpd.h
under /usr/local/apache/include

So then I run this command:

find / -name httpd.h

which should find every file on my machine with the name "httpd.h".
These are the results I get:

So I've rerun the ./configure command, using this first:

and since that didn't work:

but I get the "Invalid directory" error with both addresses.

What am I missing?

Check the installation documentation. It's looking the base directory for Apache - not the Apache include directory or an include file.

You must also have the Apache development code installed on your system. Sorry, I don't use RedHat so I don't know which RPM you need.

I don't think you need to use --with-apache.
I think you need to use --with-apxs2 instead.
At least that works on my Fedora Core 4 system.

Relevant Pages