Re: Uploading to SFTP server

Bart Friederichs wrote:

Daniel Smedegaard Buus wrote:

Well, I mean exactly that, SSH+FTP, i.e. using SSH to tunnel FTP
operations through. rcp uses SSH to protect RPCs to perform disk
operations across a network, i.e. in order to use rcp, I'd have to be
granted shell access to the server, not just FTP access.

No, you could also just grant file transfer access:

http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/index.shtml

I can see I haven't previously included all information about the situation,
sorry about that. The situation is that I do not have control over this
server, I'm operating as a client here. My company is using a service
provided by this other company, and we have to operate within their existing
infrastructure which is an FTP server protected by SSH. No possibility for
me to do *anything* on the server besides using the supplied FTP storage.

That would be preferable, but would also mean I'd have to have that kind
of control over the remote server, which isn't the case. I'm not allowed
to upload public RSA keys to the server, and thus I'm stuck with
interactive authentication :)

Wait a second. You are allowed to send arbitrary files,

Yes, it's just FTP access, nothing else.

but not some
keys? Note they are stored in the user's home dir.

Not my box, I have to operate within the bounds of the setup provided by the
server :).

Big thanks to both you and Colin for your time :)

All is well :)

Bart

  • Re: Uploading to SFTP server
    ... rcp uses SSH to protect RPCs to perform disk ... granted shell access to the server, ... infrastructure which is an FTP server protected by SSH. ... Yes, it's just FTP access, nothing else. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: obfuscating the code?
    ... Perhaps the answer is not to code for them and be paid for it. ... you would host it on your server and sell them a license to use the application which will remain on your server. ... It also means that if they have to put things up there, you have to provide them with a specialized interface or restricted ftp access, rather than just giving total ftp access. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Apple Phone Support Outsourced to 3rd World
    ... India, because Apple does not have a help center in India. ... maintain had been successfully migrated to a new server. ... When I got home and checked the web site, I saw that they had restored ... pretty much clueless about web servers and ftp access. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • ISA 2004, authenticated FTP access
    ... ISA2004 server, running in workgroup in DMZ location. ... My cunning plan was to create local accounts on the ISA server, ... details of these accounts to the few people that require FTP access. ... I am guessing the client is not recieving the prompt to authenticate - any ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • RE: Blackhole
    ... > indicate that the executable must be run, to try to break the apache ... > server through the listed port. ... only allow FTP access to the server and no users have telnet or SSH access. ...
    (RedHat)