Re: Lookup zip by IP address

On Jan 10, 8:44 pm, "Twayne" <nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Innews:c9ba34e2-15b2-43b2-b5e3-c1c73f35d6ee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
laredotorn...@xxxxxxxxxxx <laredotorn...@xxxxxxxxxxx> typed:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any free software for (roughly)
looking up a zip code by IP address?  It only has to  work
in the continental US.  I tried this that I found through
Google --
http://www.phpclasses.org/package/2428-PHP-Get-hostname-zip-code-and-...
.  But it hasn't worked for me, probably because the
database doesn't have that many entries.

Thanks, - Dave

Unless you know you can get to the user's ACTUAL IP address and not just
that of his server, something I doubt you can do, it'll never work for you.
Most ISPs cover larger geographic areas than just one zip. My ISP for
instance is 120 miles south of me, in a different zip,  and it covers, at a
quickl glance, at least 14 zips. And the ISP is as far as you're going to
get with an IP. You need the IP of the USER, which the ISPs will not give
out.

No you are totally wrong. You do get the IP of the user, but it will
be registered to the ISP's address.

  • Re: Newsgroup Elimination
    ... I've had experience with about a dozen UNIX shell account ISPs ... like) then certainly they should try Google. ... ISPs can handle thread content based on the subject line or the reference in the header to the original post that the author is responding to. ... However, certain newsreaders will group response posts, whether it included some text from the prior post or not, in its proper place in the thread subject (eg. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew)
  • Re: A New Way to Torment Blustering Bill Baka
    ... have been dutifully updating the ISPs of posters in groups on Usenet. ... I have been staying away from this group since I am still riding mountain bikes 'mostly' and did not want to start anything on here. ... I googled myself under some of my old account names, like the dial up, and the DSL and google has my posts back to 1996 when I was discussing the effect of 150,000 MPH grains of sand on a shuttle. ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)
  • Re: [MODERATOR WARNING] Google Groups Likely Blocked
    ... I'll probably be blocking posting from Google soon. ... The problem isn't in not having a reader, it's that many ISPs do not ... provide access to an NNTP server. ... news server, rather than news reader (which is a bit ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: OT for cooking, but OT for newsgroups/usenet
    ... decline in ISPs, such as mine recently, wishing to host newsgroups, ... since AOheLl dropped its Usenet support several years ... So, for us at least, Google Groups was the beginning of mass ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Killfiling all posts from Google
    ... majority of my posting is to RFC with the occasional odd post to RTLA. ... Google works just fine for posting to only one newsgroup. ... just assume that all ISPs operate the way US ISPs operate with all the ...
    (rec.food.cooking)