Re: error message I don understand

Denis McMahon wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:00:53 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the problem the op had, or with
Dennis's explanation (which, btw, is one of the better ones I've seen
for this particular problem).

Yeah, well part of what I was doing was trying to explain to the OP why
PHP expresses the error in english the way it does, given that the OP
might not be a native english speaker.

It's very easy sometimes for us who are generally working with IT in our
native languages to remember that for a lot of people, when they get an
error message, their first problem with understanding the error is that
they have to translate the error message into their own language, and
things can get obscured by the translation.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see T'PE'L give an
explanation for the OPs original error message, but I've noticed that he
seems to prefer making disparaging comments about other people's
solutions and comments rather than making any contributions of his own,
and on the rare occasions he does contribute, mostly he posts links to
other people's work.

I did see his attempt to correct me, but what he demonstrates is not what
I said can't be done. Looks like he has comprehension as well as semantic
issues ...

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Dennis:

Paragraph 1: you're absolutely right. My mothertongue is Dutch. (For the
others: try that one).

Paragraph 2: You're right again. I do need sometimes to translate to
understand the meaning of the error message. On the other hand, since
I'm able to define my own variables in MY language my variables seldom
confuse me.

Paragraph 3: I didn notice this, due to the short term I read here (a
few weeks).

BR, Schimanski.
.