Using ping to get php info from remote server

From: Peter Mount (info_at_petermount.au.com)
Date: 07/13/04

    Date: 12 Jul 2004 19:43:37 -0700

    Hello

    Is it possible to find out what version of php (and even the os) a
    remote server is using by using ping? Is there another method I should
    look at? I've already sent the company in question an email asking
    what version of PHP they are using but I'm still waiting for a reply.

    I'll be "pinging" from my Windows NT4 Server drive but I also have
    Fedora Core 1 on my other hard drive.

    Thanks

    Peter Mount
    info@petermount.au.com