Re: [PHP] php framework vs just php?

My clients benefit downstream whenever I add to my framework. A problem
solved two years ago is a problem still solved today, and I don't need
to copy and paste into their project and thus maintain multiple versions
of the same solution.

i am quite new in php. i only spent about 3 year playing with PHP. And what
you just
said about the 2 years old code still solved problem today. well it is true.
but i have a
different opinion based on my own experience.

i always found better solutions for old problem. For example, during PHP4
age, i have to
use XMLParser class (http://www.criticaldevelopment.net/xml/) to parse xml
file, while
in PHP5.. there is SimpleXML. And another example is mysqli prepared query.

Framework is complicated to me. It is easier to work with just php and it is
more straight forward. I have to dig deep into the framework documentation
because few hack to make it be able to work on all PHP version (backward
compatible) and AFAIK, no many framework out there support mysqli prepared
query (maybe it does, but it takes some time before someone implement thus
function without breaking the code backward compatiblity).

Backward compatible framework make the code so damn hard to debug and it
really
hurt eyes to see many cryptic code. And of course it takes some time to
understand what
a line of code does (fair enough since the framework coder takes years to
create,
Newbie like me will take twice the time, to understand and modify that
framework)

But, i agree, for productivity framework saves a lot of time. Then again, it
is easier and faster to use the drag-and-drop php code feature in macromedia
mx (no need to learn html and
not too much php)..

i still can't convince myself to use framework ;(

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Traps and pitfalls when writing web apps?
    ... that most people writing PHP are using it just to pep up ... you probably need an application framework with a good metaphor behind it. ... It'd be even better if they have examples in PHP, ... It deals with database transactions, handles the back button, has a dynamic menu system, role based access control system, audit logging without database triggers, a data dictionary, and a workflow engine. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Traps and pitfalls when writing web apps?
    ... that most people writing PHP are using it just to pep up ... you probably need an application framework with a good metaphor behind it. ... It'd be even better if they have examples in PHP, ... It deals with database transactions, handles the back button, ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: [PHP] Best open source project/framework to support a php training course?
    ... argue over whether it is a framework), Solar, CakePHP, Symfony, Zend's, ... Drupal contributor because of how good a system it is.) ... It's not for the first time PHP ... PHP 5) before introducing advanced topics like magic object callback ...
    (php.general)
  • RE: [PHP] Re: Open Project
    ... opensource and in PHP. ... framework, orm, webservice or basically anything without an html ... ORM built on top of PDO. ... Generic XML Parser using DOM API ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: Competition is not ALWAYS good
    ... you see web framework as a must-use product. ... for example, consider PHP. ... their applications in bare PHP -- and be quite successful with this. ... Quality of the code is very often correlated with portability, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)