Database Tables Relation Issue

Hi there,

I'm working on something similar to mailing list in which every registered
user has the ability to create a mailing list and join others mailing lists.

My users table is something like that (in short):

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `users` (
`id` INT( 11 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
`email` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL,
`password` CHAR( 64 ) NOT NULL,
UNIQUE (`email`)
);

And my mailinglists table is as following:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `lists` (
`id` INT( 11 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
`creator_id` INT( 11 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`name` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL,
`description` TEXT NOT NULL
);

I must have relation between the users table and the lists table, but I'm
not sure what is the best way to implement it.

I have thought of using comma-separated ID's in special field in the lists
table of the users who have joined that specific list, but I have also
thought of doing the same at the users table, then I had another solution
which is to create new table:

create table `relations` (
`listid` int(11),
`userid` int (11)
);

Which will contain the relations.

I want it to be optimised so when I'm fetching the mailinglists that a
specific user is registered (by user id) to and when I'm fetching the users
in specific mailinglist (by mailinglist id) it will be the fastest.

The question itself is kinda newbie but I have to make sure it is as
scalable as much because in few weeks it will have 10-20 unique visitors/DAY
;)

--
?>
Nitsan Bin-Nun

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Dynamic replacement of the variable
    ... this is a technical mailing list! ... Perl might even be some people's first attempt at learning a programming language. ... We should encourage them and grow the community rather than be rude and let them search for 'green pastures'. ... Such lists will increase user participation and eventually lead to the list being 'useful' to the posters as well as to the community. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: FreeBSD Kernel Internals Documentation
    ... It's not like political/ religious mailing lists don't exist. ... Nobody is stopping anybody from changing their freebsd kernel. ... experiences with learning windows. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [PHP] Database Tables Relation Issue
    ... user has the ability to create a mailing list and join others mailing lists. ... `id` INT(11) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY, ... two-column primary key on both listid and userid, ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: [PHP] Database Tables Relation Issue
    ... I'm working on something similar to mailing list in which every registered ... `id` INT(11) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY, ... CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `lists` ( ... specific user is registered to and when I'm fetching the users ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: distribution list
    ... My experience is that you can expect a 5-10% bounce rate for any bulk ... mailing list you have, you should start considering a bulk mailing solution ... If you want to continue with a public folder, forget distribution lists. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.contacts)