session side-effect which existed until PHP...

When I launch this code, I get "Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly
relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be
advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as
a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable
this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or
session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0"

Since it's not my server, how do I modify this to avoid the complaint?

<?php
session_start();
$variable = $_SESSION['plaintext'];

if ($variable != bob){

echo "do stuff";

}

  • Session_start() problem
    ... PHP Warning: session_start: ... No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0 PHP ... Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: [PHP] Local PHP installation conflict
    ... However I have just installed PHP, MySQL and Apache on my local ... Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect ...
    (php.general)
  • Local PHP installation conflict
    ... However I have just installed PHP, MySQL and Apache on my local Windows ... Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: Nach der Installation von MySQL 4 kommen Fehlermeldungen
    ... Allerdings ist das eine Meldung von PHP oder irgendeinem in PHP geschriebenen Skript. ... group by modell ist ungültiges SQL. ... Warning: Unknown: Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect ...
    (de.comp.datenbanken.mysql)
  • Warning messages when script executed from command line
    ... PHP INI File Setting ... No warning message are displayed when script executed from the browser. ... Module 'SimpleXML' already loaded in Unknown on line 0 ...
    (alt.php)