session side-effect which existed until PHP...

When I launch this code, I get "Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly
relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be
advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as
a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable
this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or
session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0"

Since it's not my server, how do I modify this to avoid the complaint?

<?php
session_start();
$variable = $_SESSION['plaintext'];

if ($variable != bob){

echo "do stuff";

}

  • Session_start() problem
    ... PHP Warning: session_start: ... No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0 PHP ... Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: [PHP] Local PHP installation conflict
    ... However I have just installed PHP, MySQL and Apache on my local ... Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect ...
    (php.general)
  • Local PHP installation conflict
    ... However I have just installed PHP, MySQL and Apache on my local Windows ... Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: Nach der Installation von MySQL 4 kommen Fehlermeldungen
    ... Allerdings ist das eine Meldung von PHP oder irgendeinem in PHP geschriebenen Skript. ... group by modell ist ungültiges SQL. ... Warning: Unknown: Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect ...
    (de.comp.datenbanken.mysql)
  • Re: PHP Error - need help
    ... The 'headers already sent' issue is basically because PHP isn't buffering ... > Warning: session_start: Cannot send session cookie - headers already> sent ... > Warning: Unknown(): ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)