FAQ 8.7: How do I clear the screen?

From: PerlFAQ Server (comdog_at_panix.com)
Date: 11/02/04

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:03:02 +0000 (UTC)

This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc
intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to
common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt
from the documentation provided with Perl.

8.7: How do I clear the screen?

    If you only have do so infrequently, use "system":

        system("clear");

    If you have to do this a lot, save the clear string so you can print it
    100 times without calling a program 100 times:

        $clear_string = `clear`;
        print $clear_string;

    If you're planning on doing other screen manipulations, like cursor
    positions, etc, you might wish to use Term::Cap module:

        use Term::Cap;
        $terminal = Term::Cap->Tgetent( {OSPEED => 9600} );
        $clear_string = $terminal->Tputs('cl');

Documents such as this have been called "Answers to Frequently
Asked Questions" or FAQ for short. They represent an important
part of the Usenet tradition. They serve to reduce the volume of
redundant traffic on a news group by providing quality answers to
questions that keep coming up.

If you are some how irritated by seeing these postings you are free
to ignore them or add the sender to your killfile. If you find
errors or other problems with these postings please send corrections
or comments to the posting email address or to the maintainers as
directed in the perlfaq manual page.

Note that the FAQ text posted by this server may have been modified
from that distributed in the stable Perl release. It may have been
edited to reflect the additions, changes and corrections provided
by respondents, reviewers, and critics to previous postings of
these FAQ. Complete text of these FAQ are available on request.

The perlfaq manual page contains the following copyright notice.

  AUTHOR AND COPYRIGHT

    Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Tom Christiansen and Nathan
    Torkington, and other contributors as noted. All rights
    reserved.

This posting is provided in the hope that it will be useful but
does not represent a commitment or contract of any kind on the part
of the contributers, authors or their agents.

Relevant Pages

  • FAQ 3.16 How can I make my Perl program run faster?
    ... This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc ... intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to ... from the documentation provided with Perl. ... Asked Questions" or FAQ for short. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • FAQ 8.26 Why doesnt open() return an error when a pipe open fails?
    ... This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc ... intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to ... from the documentation provided with Perl. ... Asked Questions" or FAQ for short. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • FAQ 3.19 How can I make my CGI script more efficient?
    ... This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc ... intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to ... from the documentation provided with Perl. ... Asked Questions" or FAQ for short. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • FAQ 3.19 How can I make my CGI script more efficient?
    ... This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc ... intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to ... from the documentation provided with Perl. ... Asked Questions" or FAQ for short. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • FAQ 3.20 How can I hide the source for my Perl program?