Re: rename not working on files with accents in names

Chris Mattern wrote:

> Tom Bates wrote:
>
>> Thanks for reminding me about being able to see the actual error info
>> (I referred to the Perl help pages for the available error variables).
>> After the rename fails:
>>
>> $! == "No such file or directory"
>> $^E == "The system cannot find the file specified"
>> $? == 0
>>
>> I have many files with other accented characters that cause the same
>> problem, BTW. I'm just using this one to narrow down the problem.
>
> Please don't top-post. Put your reply after the text you are replying
> to. That said, I firmly believe that your problem is that your Perl
> program and Windows aren't using the same character set--that is,
> "á" in your Perl program and "á" on your command line aren't in fact
> the same character. As I very rarely need to fool with non-ASCII
> character sets, I'll leave your solutions to somebody who understands
> them better.

It occurs to me that there is a simple test for this. Have your
Perl program create "Tecatitlán.txt". Then look at the file
in Windows. If it has a weird character instead of "á", then
that's your problem.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

  • Re: Oracle error with swedish characters
    ... i have the problem running perl to oracle on linux only. ... machine was just a test to see if it was a greater perl problem. ... works on windows i am now trying to get perl DBI to work only on linux. ... > oracle the character mentioned is ascii 229. ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: change web page,open programs
    ... Perl is case sensitive but the Windows file system is not, and so, although when you look for the file 'LWP/Simple.pm' as 'lwp/simple.pm' Windows will "find" it that will not work in Perl because perl looks for the module name 'LWP::Simple'. ... perl interpolates strings What this means is that the backslash character is treated differently in most strings in that it, and the character following it, are either translated to a "special" character, or if there is no "special" character then it is translated to the character itself. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Window control program help needed Jan. 24, 2006
    ... If possible I would like to get Perl to do two things. ... I would like Perl to send characters etc. to the Windows operating ... system as if the instructions were being entered from the keyboard. ... window is active for example and I enter a character on the keyboard, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • How to match carriage returns and line feeds
    ... I am using ActiveState's Perl on Windows and am trying to remove an excess ... \x0d character I am getting (not sure why I am getting it, ... I admit to being a newbie to Perl, so maybe I am just missing something. ...
    (comp.lang.perl)
  • Re: ways to check for octets outside of the safe ASCII range?
    ... Space is an ordinary single-width character like any other, ... an app that wanted to know whether it was safe to assume 1 ... Unicode implementation. ... If these people are not aware that Perl scalars don't necessarily ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)