'2 apples' + '2 oranges' == 4

I can't find the documentation for the behavior illustrated in the
Subject line (i.e. in Perl arithmetic operations are defined for
strings beginning with numbers[*]). Any pointers would be appreciated.
(Also, meta-pointers on how one would go about finding this
documentation if one didn't know already would also be very welcome.)

TIA!

jill

* Actually, the format of the strings Perl will perform arithmetic
on is more compilicated than I described above. Optional leading
whitespace is permitted, for example.

--
To s&e^n]d me m~a}i]l r%e*m?o\v[e bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

  • Re: C question...little OT
    ... pointers to the two strings are given as *s and *t. ... demonstrate strcpy, I use char *u = s to hold the return value. ... more documentation will solve every problem in the universe. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: 2 apples + 2 oranges == 4
    ... Subject line (i.e. in Perl arithmetic operations are defined for strings beginning with numbers). ... Any pointers would be appreciated. ... meta-pointers on how one would go about finding this documentation if one didn't know already would also be very welcome.) ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: C question...little OT
    ... pointers to the two strings are given as *s and *t. ... more documentation will solve every problem in the universe. ... Too bad that, in that prototype of strcpy(), s stood for target ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: The strange story of ! and ==(=)false
    ... operator, evaluate expressions as ...  * Strings are converted to numbers if possible. ... That appears to be a quote from Microsoft's JScript documentation, ... there's no need to create a Boolean object, get its value, and destroy ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: The limits of human hearing
    ... much less documentation and in fact, ... strings with a very long length and the lighter strings with a very ... The saturation point of unrelated factoids taken ... out of context has been reached. ...
    (rec.music.theory)